5

UCI Ranks 12th Among U.S. Public Universities
The annual U.S. News and World Report college rankings listed UCI for the second year in a row as 12th among the nation’s top public universities and 45th among both public and private universities in the country.
The rankings are based on the magazine’s evaluations of more than 15 indicators of academic excellence, including peer assessment, faculty resources and student selectivity.
UCI is one of 62 universities in the United States and Canada elected to membership for the Association of American Universities, an association of leading research universities in the country that is based in Washington, DC.
Former Professor Suspended from Clinical Practice
After being sued more than 36 times for wrongful death and medical malpractice suits, Dr. Israel Chambi was suspended from the Western Medical Center in Santa Ana on Sept. 10.
Chambi was fired from UCI’s Department of Neurobiology in 1995 after his colleagues, including department head Dr. Michael Dogali, blamed him for poor judgment and incompetence.
Following his time at UCI, Chambi was named Chief of Neurosurgery at WMC in 1998.
Although the hospital has released conditions to Chambi that would eventually allow him to return, one medical expert said Chambi most likely will not be returning to the hospital.