Ending Worker Strike is Company Responsibility

2
2

With a two-week stalemate, thousands of angry workers and countless numbers of inconvenienced customers, the strike held by the United Food and Commercial Workers Union has shown no positive results. With no negotiations planned for the near future and both sides refusing to back down from their cause, the strike has raged on for far too long with neither side making enough of an effort for compromise.
Both management and labor aspects of a business are equally important in maximizing profits and providing quality service to consumers, so a logical solution is that both sides construct an effort to resolve the disputes and reach a middle ground.
A compromise between the two parties is realistically the most reasonable solution to this battle, and yet no side has taken the initiative to do this.
While compromise is possible and a middle ground is ideally promising, the side that should inevitably step forward and initiate this compromise should be the companies themselves. With thousands of employees walking the picket lines, the companies have a responsibility to reach a compromise that both sides can tolerate.
Albertsons alone takes in an average of about $36 billion in revenue per year and is one of the biggest supermarkets in the state despite competition from up-and-coming Walmart.
Albertsons alone is well within its means and power to negotiate a more flexible contract and all three stores, Vons, Ralphs and Albersons combined have more than enough resources to reach a settlement.
Compared to their employees, who tend to be blue-collar workers and who do not have billions of dollars to fall back on, these companies have much less to lose in a settlement. Compromise by the two sides would not have such a devastating blow to the companies as it would have on the employees.
Being such powerful and prosperous companies, the three supermarket chains have established themselves in many locations and have provided services for customers that many have trouble finding alternatives to.
Since their wealth and revenue depend upon the happiness and satisfaction of the millions of people that shop at their stores, they have a responsibility to continue to provide the services and excellence that afforded them this wealth to begin with.
The fact that customers have had trouble finding alternatives to Vons, Ralphs and Albertsons is an indication that these companies hold all the cards and whatever perceived threat their competitors pose is outweighed by the dissatisfaction of their customers