Irvine Rides Aggies to Double Overtime

7
7

The UC Irvine Women’s Soccer team outplayed a feisty Utah State side, but could not score as they tied 0-0 in double overtime on Oct. 19 in a Big West Conference game at Anteater Stadium.
‘We had our chances to win this game,’ said frustrated Assistant Coach Jamie Surprenant, who served as the temporary head coach during the game.
Due to a fight that broke out in the 78th minute of their 2-1 win over Idaho on Oct. 17, junior defender Tara Weldon and junior midfielder Julie Scheppele were unable to participate with the Anteaters (8-3-5, Big West 2-1-3) against the Aggies (9-5-1, 3-1-1). This left an obvious hole in the Anteater lineup.
Despite their altered starting lineup, the Anteaters came out fired up. Junior defender Alyson Spencer nearly put UCI on the scoreboard in the second minute with a header off of a corner kick by senior forward Hayley McNallan that sailed just over the crossbar. McNallan would nearly put in a goal of her own in the ninth minute when she faked out an Aggie defender and hit a long shot that barely missed high.
Utah State would have a few threatening chances, but the first half was without a doubt dominated by the Anteaters. Despite their good play, the teams would leave the field for halftime without a goal.
The Anteaters would take it to the Aggies yet again in the second half. Substitute sophomore forward Lauren Baer would spark the Anteater offense when she headed a corner kick from McNallan just over the bar, past the diving Aggie goalkeeper. Baer nearly created another goal when she beat her defender and sent a pass to sophomore forward Kim Lloyd. It took a great save by Aggie junior goalkeeper Megan Mills to keep the score level.
UCI continued to have the majority of the scoring chances, but seemed reluctant to pull the trigger