Letters to the Editor

3
3

Supermarket Strike
I have no sympathy for the striking workers of the grocery chains and as your editorial suggests, it is not up to the chains to end the strike.
The striking workers along with the members of the public who support them and do not cross picket lines are only working to weaken an already struggling economy.
Unions no longer have a place in the grocery industry. The grocery union, over the years, has brainwashed its members into believing that they cannot survive without the union, but now that the state has created numerous laws that govern the workplace, the union’s purpose is lessened if not completely unneccessary.
Letter writer Paul Pak is one of those members who has been brainwashed. He claims that he is well versed in the facts but does not understand that he and his co-workers would be better off without the union entirely.
Unions only raise costs for companies and limit the power of the consumer.
In the event that the grocery chains buckle under the pressure and give into the union, prices at supermarkets will rise dramatically turning people away from the stores.
Also, the longer the strikes continue, the more customers those chains will lose. Thousands of jobs will be lost as the demand for supermarkets lessen and the supermarkets are forced to downsize.
If, on the other hand, the striking employees cannot agree on the conditions of the proposed contract, the chains will do away with unions all together and the members of the union will lose their jobs or go back to the same jobs and work without the union.
The grocery chains have put an offer on the table to their employees which is more than fair and the sooner the striking workers understand the effects they are having on the economy and the consquences of the strike, the better off everyone will be. Ending the strike is the responsibility of the striking workers