2

As you all know, UCI is a place that offers fine academics, entertaining athletics and a beautiful seaside atmosphere. But what you might not be aware of is the fact that there are also some men worth talking about. Here are some of the New University’s top choices. Remember, this is in no particular order.

THE BIG MAN ON CAMPUS

The phrase that would best describe fifth-year political science major Jeff Minhas is ‘big man on campus.’ The former ASUCI president is involved in numerous other endeavors, including summer orientation and the Completely Insane Anteaters.
New University: You’ve done more than there’s time to do at UCI. What inspires you to get involved with so much?
Minhas: I fell in love with UCI ever since I started here. It wasn’t one of my first choices, but I loved it. Every experience is what you make of it. This has been the best four and a half years of my life. I love the people here at UCI, and I love the atmosphere, so I just want to do as much as I can to make it better. Whether it be leading the CIA or being ASUCI president, I just want to do as much good as I can.
New U.: What are your plans after UCI?
Minhas: I hope to travel for a month or two in Europe. Then I’ll come back, and I’ll have a year off and I’ll be working and doing grad school applications. The following year I’ll hopefully be in grad school either working toward my MBA or going into higher education in administration.
New U.: Tell us something people might not know about you.
Minhas: Music is my passion, I’m almost never not listening to music. I relate my life to songs and try to find the meaning and the balance there. I find comfort in that.
New U.: Describe your approach with women.
Minhas: I don’t date terribly often. Usually it’s with someone I’ve known for a long time. Usually, dating and relationships in my life evolve from friendships. I like to know people better before I date them.

THE SCHOLAR ATHLETE

Aras Baskauskas defines the term ‘well-rounded.’ As a fifth-year student, he is already a student in the Graduate School of Management. Baskauskas is also the point guard of the UCI Basketball team.
New U.: How do you manage to do so much in so little time?
Baskauskas: You have to sacrifice something. I don’t get to get to party and don’t have much free time as other college students. You manage your time and multi-task. I actually like having less time, it keeps me on track.
New U.: What have you learned through your involvement with the basketball team through the years?
Baskauskas: Basketball has taught me tons of things. You learn how to work hard. I’ve had awesome experiences and memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. I have teammates that are my best friends and we live together.
New U.: What comes after UCI?
Baskauskas: I’d like to play basketball professionally in Europe and then the sky’s the limit. With my business degree, I’d go into marketing.
New U.: How would you describe your approach with women?
Baskauskas: I try to be straightforward and honest. I really appreciate those qualities in women, so I think I should do the same back.

THE BIG KID

Josh Bally is not your typical fourth-year college guy. Although some might not admit it, many girls find a man who is good with kids heartwarming and sweet. Bally, a film studies major, has demonstrated this through extensive volunteer work at local elementary schools, museums and working at Disneyland.
New U.: What inspired you to get so involved with Disneyland and Disney programs?
Bally: When I came to check out UCI, I went to Disneyland. I went with a friend who’s a Disney freak, so we decided to work there. I auditioned for a part and I got it.
New U.: Why have you chosen to work extensively with young people?
Bally: I want to be an elementary school teacher. Ever since my junior year in high school I’ve been involved. It’s always nice to form bonds with kids and watch them grow and succeed.
New U.: What comes after UCI?
Bally: I want to get my teaching credential either here or the Bay Area. I also want to work in the movie industry. I’d like to be an actor working for film or television.
New U.: What drew you to get involved with drama?
Bally: I consider drama a hobby, but I really want to get on film and camera. I’ve done a lot of theater and musical theater. I’ve done some short films. Film is what I want to get into if I don’t become a teacher.
New U.: What is something people may not know about you?
Bally: A lot of people don’t know that I’m a quarter Japanese because I look like a total white boy.
Bally: I’m a hopeless romantic. I like to sweep a girl off her feet. I would find out what a girl really likes and I would accommodate that so she would feel comfortable and have fun at the same time.

THE FUTURE ATTORNEY

Salah Haggag brings a different element to this list of bachelors. A member of the Pre-Law Society, Haggag is also a photography enthusiast, second-year criminology major and plans to graduate in three years.
New U.: How have you liked your experiences at UCI so far?
Haggag: UCI is definitely growing on me. I like it a lot in terms of the classes, the facilities and the student body. They all seem to rub me the right way.
New U.: What do you plan to do after UCI?
Haggag: I focus a lot of my attention and think about school and I think going to law school is a big goal of mine. I don’t want to pin myself to any one school, but USC and UCLA are looking pretty good. I’m interested in getting into my career as quick as possible, and don’t want to spend a lot of time doing other things. I can see it as a waste of time, a waste of life.
New U.: How would you describe your appeal to women?
Haggag: I think people just generally think I’m really nice or sweet. I think I’m funny but doesn’t everybody? I always try to set myself apart from other guys just by trying to present a unique package.
New U.: How do you think you come off to people?
Haggag: When I’m presenting myself to people. I try to come across as very courteous. I try to be a gentleman [and] those are the things that I think are very important to me.
New U.: What do you think makes guys worthy of the most eligible bachelor title?
Haggag: If you’re just a good person, that’s good enough for me. Someone who has a good attitude about life.

THE RENAISSANCE MAN

What do you get when you combine a writer, a drummer and a lacrosse goalie? You get third-year English major Andrew Greenstein, who has shown himself to be a well-rounded package.
New U.: What do you do in your free time?
Greenstein: I usually practice the drums for about two hours a day. Actually, it’s kind of funny. I go to a place under a freeway, which is under a bridge or in a field, whatever I can find. [I have] lacrosse practice a couple times a week. Usually, my weekends are filled with practicing with the rest of the band. We have shows during the week usually.
New U.: How have your experiences at UCI been so far?
Greenstein: I’ve been really impressed with Irvine. I didn’t really want to come here at first and it’s been all pleasant surprises since then. The education is great, it really has the top programs in a lot of places.
New U.: How would you describe your approach to women?
Greenstein: When it comes to women I’m very compassionate, I like spending time doing whatever it takes to make them feel happy, but I also like getting myself in a relationship where two people can do everything together [and] do whatever they want. People can talk and just sit around and you can basically make fun out of nothing.
Greenstein: I think people that see me can see that I’m a nice guy. I’m a respectful person and more importantly, I treat whomever she is right and I think that’s the most important thing to know.
New U.: How has the lacrosse team worked out for you?
Greenstein: ‘You get beat up a lot, but at the end of the day it’s really good for me and it feels good. It’s an accomplishment. I’m a really committed person. When I can see something, I get it done.’