3

Representative of ASUCI Protests IAC’s High Prices
Ben Thiang, ASUCI fair housing campaign manager, staged a protest on Nov. 18 to fight against the injustices of IAC. Thiang claimed IAC is a monopoly that overcharges poor students to live in small apartments.
Thiang said the high prices of IAC-owned apartments make it extremely difficult to live within walking distance of campus. According to Thiang, students without cars are forced to pay $1700 a month for rent.
As part of his demonstration, Thiang set up a small tent and roasted hot dogs. Thiang added that he intends to eventually sleep in his tent for a couple of nights and will stage his protest again next quarter.
Democratic Hopeful Seeks Support of Irvine Community
On Nov. 23, Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich appeared at the Turtle Rock Communty Park Center to speak to Irvine residents.
In his speech, Kucinich presented key issues in his campaign platform, including the removal of American troops from Iraq, the creation of a universal health care plan, and the withdrawal of U.S. involvment in NAFTA and WTO.
Approximately 75 people attended the event, which included a fundraising portion. Kucinic stopped by Irvine on his way to a rally in Los Angeles.
Kucinich has been serving as a congressman for Ohio since 1996, and previously served as the youngest mayor of Cleveland.