Anteaters Are Swept Away by the Waves in Loss

3
3

The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team faced Pepperdine on Nov. 24 at the Bren Events Center. However, the Anteaters were unable to stop the Waves as Peppderine won, 71-47.
Pepperdine (1-1) started out with a lead of 13-3. Anteater junior guard Courtney Ferguson made a three-point basket, putting points on the board for Irvine. But UCI (0-2) made several turnovers in the first half. Pepperdine had its fair share of weaknesses also, as Pepperdine sophomore forward Kelly Greathouse tried to make a pass that went out of bounds.
Several attempts at the basket were made by senior guard Kristen Green but most were no good as she was 1-of-6 from the field and 0-of-3 in three-pointers in the first half.
With less than 11 minutes to go in the first, sophomore forward Lauren Yadon got the ball back for UCI after they almost lost it and made a two-point basket on the inside.
Pepperdine and Irvine went up and down the court trying shots that were no good. But the Waves increased their lead to 35-18 by the end of the first.
The first shot of the second half was made by Pepperdine senior Nicole Funn. Irvine, however, came back with a three-pointer by sophomore guard Jackie Lord.
Lord later got the ball again and was able to give it to Yadon who then threw it back to Lord. She went in to give an inside pass to junior center Ashley Biggins. Biggins converted the basket for Irvine.
Pepperdine then got the ball but turned it over as Lord stole it. Lord passed it to Green who went inside and converted the field goal. Irvine still trailed Pepperdine, 37-25.
A full time-out was called and the game started full-swing with the Waves in charge of the ball. It did not last long as they received a traveling violation. The ball was back with UCI’s Lord, who passed it to senior forward Christina Callaway.
Callaway then found Yadon in the paint. Yadon took a shot but the Waves deflected it.
‘We knew this team was good, [we] had nothing to lose,’ Yadon said.
It was Irvine’s ball as Yadon passed it to Lord. She lost it after Funn stole it and made an easy lay-up.
Green got the ball but she lost her grip on it and it went back to Pepperdine.
Soon after, Irvine had possession of the ball and Green made a three-point shot. Following Green’s lead, Biggins went inside, made a turnaround and put in the basket for Irvine.
Green had the ball after a 30-second time-out. She passed it to Ferguson who then passed it back to her. Green would follow by making a three-point basket.
In the latter period of the second half, Green made another three-pointer, which was followed by an easy lay-up by Lord, making the score 61-41. With less than seven minutes to go, Biggins received her fifth personal foul.
Yadon felt her team ‘went strong for the 40 minutes of the game.’
Freshman guard Shayna Stanley made a basket, which was followed by another two points made by Callaway on the free-throw line.
With only one minute remaining, Anteater sophomore forward Joanna Usher attempted to make a shot but it was no good. The Anteaters lost, 71-47.
Head Coach Mark Adams was ‘pleased how [UCI] executed offense today.’ Adams, however, thinks UCI needs to ‘shoot the ball better.’
This year, the team has a lot of young players, but it didn’t seem to affect the team at all. As Green said, there was ‘good team chemistry tonight.’