Anteaters are Tamed by the Vandals in Conference Loss

2
2

After Idaho sophomore forward Emily Faurholt put her right foot on the three-point line and drained the jumper, the referees inadvertently awarded the team three points. Later in the game, while running back on defense, UC Irvine senior guard Kristen Green stepped on the foot of a referee, rolled her left ankle and then tumbled onto the hardwood.
It was that kind of a night for the UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team as the Anteaters lost to the Vandals 68-49 on Jan. 31 at the Bren Events Center in a Big West Conference game.
‘This is probably collectively, our poorest effort of the year at both ends of the floor,’ said Head Coach Mark Adams.
The game started off with promise as UC Irvine (3-13, 2-6 Big West) went up 5-3 off a three-pointer by Green. However, the Anteaters would not score another basket in the next 10 minutes as the Vandals went on a 10-2 run.
‘We started off good, we had good defense and then I don’t know, we gave up too many high reversals. They were able to run their offense and it went downhill from there,’ Green said.
Lack of offense and turnovers haunted the Anteaters all night as they shot only 33 percent from the field and gave up 10 turnovers in which Idaho (13-4, 5-3) converted into 10 points.
‘If we go down on offense and we don’t score, then consequently we go down on defense and we don’t have the same intensity as we need to and so they continue to score and we don’t score,’ said sophomore forward Lauren Yadon. ‘Our confidence drops and their’s raises. That’s why they go on runs and we can’t pick up our momentum to get stops on defense.’
Irvine closed out the first half on a 6-2 run to close the gap to six points. However, Idaho opened the second half with a 10-4 run and Irvine would get no closer than nine points the rest of the game.
‘It wasn’t that they were better than us at all,’ Green added. ‘We had the easy shots, we had tons of shots in the paint and we just weren’t making them.’
Yadon contributed with 11 points and two boards. However, it was Green who stole the show, leading the Anteaters in scoring with 19 points on 8-of-18 shooting. She also led the Anteaters in rebounds and assists with 6 and 4, respectively.
‘I thought Kristen Green played her tail off,’ Adams said.
Green played all but one minute in the contest, sitting out after rolling her ankle with four minutes to go in the second half, only to get her left ankle wrapped up. Hobbling up and down the court, Green scored five more points after returning to the game.
Green shrugged off the incident.
‘Oh its fine,’ Green said. ‘It’s not even as half as bad as my right one.’
‘She’s a warrior, definitely,’ Yadon said. ‘She’s a good leader and we need to step up and follow her.’
The loss snapped a short win streak where the Anteaters won two out of three games. UCI will head up to Pacific for their next game on Feb. 5. For UCI, the key to winning games the rest of the season is simple.
‘We got to get better offensively,’ Adams said.