Server School Means Big Money for ‘Eaters

3
3

As college students, many of us have to survive off of Ramen at the end of some months. We are so busy with trying to do well in our classes that we forget the need to leave some time to make extra money. Let’s face it, mommy and daddy can’t pay for everything. Most part-time jobs just don’t cut it in the paycheck department, so many look to waiting as the ultimate form of obtaining quick cash. But don’t be fooled, it’s harder than it looks!
The Serving School of Southern California is a brand new concept, designed to train the average inexperienced person into a wining and dining super-waiter. Instead of gambling and hoping for the best out on your own and maybe getting a job as a busboy or a host, you can be guaranteed a job at the likes of Irvine Spectrum’s restaurants, earning $25 to $30 an hour. For those who need a decent job that isn’t located in a broken down warehouse or a dark basement, this opportunity gives just that within a span of two to three weeks.
‘[The restaurant managers] don’t have the luxury to hire inexperienced 4.0 intelligent college students,’ said CEO Broderick Pinkney.
He would know, with 25 years of experience in the business, managing Wolfgang Puck’s, working with Olive Garden and the Marriot Hotel chain, and even owning his own restaurant, The Good Earth.
Applying the laws of supply and demand, Pinkney’s school will train students and then place them in a job. The students have 60 hours of class time and 10 hours of internship before they are allowed to graduate. Unlike university regulations, if the student doesn’t graduate the first time around, they are given a second chance.
With his many connections, Pinkney assures that he can guarantee his students a job if they pass his school’s requirements. The students will be graded on promptness, attentiveness, appearance (uniforms, not physical), tests and homework.
The school of Southern California offers morning and night classes which are five hours long, and all day classes on Saturdays. Pinkney’s highly experienced and certified trainers are Joel Patterson of Madre’s (J. Lo’s restaurant), Lydia Ebell of Spago’s and Davi Bickford from the Olive Garden. They will work with a maximum of 15 students per class.
The school is conveniently located across the bridge from campus at the University Center.
Pinkney creatively set up a few tables, fully equipped with clothes, napkins, glasses and even a bar area for the students to work with wines and drinks. Here, the students can apply what they learned in the classrooms in a simulated setting. Within the classroom, the students will learn the philosophy of sales/tips, interviewing techniques and r