2

The 75th-ranked UC Irvine Men’s Tennis team served away the competition, Northern Arizona University, at the Crawford Tennis Courts on Feb. 14.
With doubles play in the morning and singles play in the afternoon, the team scored a 6-1 record for a win against Northern Arizona.
Junior Peter Surapol alongside senior doubles partner Zoran Korac Jr. were one of the three doubles tandems to win against Northern Arizona.
‘We had a pretty good win. We both played pretty well and Zoran was doing a good job at serving big,’ Surapol said. ‘Overall, we were both in the club.’
The other doubles teams for UCI were juniors Brian Morton and Ryusuke Kashiwabara, and seniors Jon Endrikat and Wkwesi Williams, all of whom swept their opponents.
‘I made a lot of first serves so Jon was able to dominate and attack at the net,’ Williams said. ‘We always want a win, and no matter what kind of team they are we still want to handle them.’
By mid-afternoon, Irvine was already dominating Arizona in singles play, 6-0. It wasn’t until the last singles match that one of Arizona’s players defeated Kashiwabara.
‘Ryusuke Kashiwabara gave 110 percent with a tremendous effort and that’s even considering that he had a 102-degree fever last night,’ said Head Coach Steve Clark.
It just goes to show how much the Anteaters were willing to put up a fight, even when Kashiwabara was cramping from a pulled muscle towards the end of his match.
Overall, the Anteaters did well on a Saturday afternoon, improving their record to 2-3 overall. The team now has Santa Clara next on their schedule on Feb. 21 and Loyola Marymount on Feb. 24.
‘The guys played well today, even though we still have to work on attacking approaches and such,’ Clark said. ‘But today was a team effort and the guys did good all the way through. It’s definitely a step in the right direction.’