4

Baseball Upsets #13 Arizona on Road
Tucson, Ariz. – Feb. 21 – The UC Irvine Men’s Baseball team beat 13th-ranked Arizona 6-5 to cinch the series win at Kindall Field.
UCI scored it’s first run in the first as sophomore catcher Mark Wagner hit a RBI single to score junior first baseman Brett Dalton.
In the second, Irvine scored four runs and one in the third after junior designated hitter Gregg Wallis’ single allowed sophomore Erik Johnson to score.
Senior second baseman Matt Fisher also scored a run for the Anteaters.
In the sixth, Arizona scored a run by D.J. Lewis and continued with a home run by shortstop Jason Donald.
Junior pitcher Glenn Swanson had his first win of the season as Irvine improves to 5-2. Swanson allowed three runs in 5.2 innings.
Men’s Basketball Loses ESPN Bracket Buster Game
Las Cruces, N.M. – Feb 21 – The UC Irvine Men’s Basketball team lost against New Mexico State 69-64 on ESPN Bracket Buster day at Pan-Am Center.
The Anteaters dominated the opening minutes of the game by leading 10-0. By the half, the Aggies were able to regain their momentum and finish the half, trailing Irvine 35-32.
With only 11:37 remaining, New Mexico State was able to make a 14-0 run against UCI and took the lead 61-55.
Then, sophomore guard Jeff Gloger made a basket and tied the game 61-61. Yet, Irvine did not make a comeback as the Aggies made six straight points and won the game.
Senior center Adam Parada led the Anteaters with 23 points followed by senior forward Stanislav Zuzak who had 16 points.

Women’s Basketball Takes Over the Beach in Victory
Long Beach, Calif. – Feb. 21 – The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team beat Cal State Long Beach 60-50 at the Pyramid.
At the end of the first half, the Beach led 25-21. But Irvine went on a 9-0 run after the half to win the game.
Senior guard Kristen Green led the team in points with 17, senior forward Christina Callaway had 14 and freshman guard Shayna Stanley contributed a career-high of 13 points. Junior center Ashley Biggins had a career-high 14 rebounds.
Callaway was named Big West Player of the week after leading her team to victory against UC Riverside last week with 18 points. She also averaged 18.5 points per game last week and 10 rebounds. This is the third time Callaway received Player of the Week honors.

Women’s Tennis Match Cancelled
Irvine, Calif. – Feb. 21 – The UC Irvine Women’s Tennis match was cancelled due to rain against Sacramento State. The match will not be rescheduled.

Men’s Volleyball Drops to Penn State
Springfield, Mass. – Feb. 21 – The eighth-ranked UC Irvine Men’s Volleyball team lost to 12th-ranked Penn State in the championship match of the Volleyball Hall of Fame/Morgan Classic.
UCI won the first two matches of the game but ended up losing 3-2 (26-30, 28-30, 30-21, 30-26, 18-16) to Penn State.
Senior outside hitter Jimmy Pelzel became UCI’s career kills leader by making 18 kills that night.

Women’s Water Polo Loses to Stanford
Stanford, Calif. – Feb. 21 – The 13th-ranked UC Irvine Women’s Water Polo team lost to 3rd-ranked Stanford 8-1 at the Avery Aquatic Center.
Irvine remained scoreless for the first three quarters until junior driver Aleah Amr scored a goal in the fourth with one second remaining on the clock.
Senior goalkeeper Sunceray Chamblee had 11 saves in the game.