Young Perspectives For College Students

3
3

GENERATION S.L.U.T.

Limits lose their significance, thrills grow cheaper by the minute. Our fast-paced society goes through its stages quicker than wildfire, and the current ‘norm’ seems to grow more outrageous by the minute. Sadly, though, most young people don’t realize that they are being taken on a ride.
Marty Beckerman, a college student from Alaska noticed that sexual relationships were starting at an increasingly younger age, and based on nationwide interviews came to the conclusion that society as a whole couldn’t care less.
In his new book, ‘Generation S.L.U.T.,’ he discusses the rapid emergence of America’s ‘hook-up culture.’
After reading this alarmingly real piece of literature, any normal college student (who is conveniently following the ‘norm’) would re-think many of the decisions they’ve made during the course of their adolescent life.
One may initially think that Beckerman is writing from the point-of-view of a virginal prude. However, through the first-person commentary scattered through the book, it is evident that he’s had sexual experience. The difference between him and the average college student is his level of awareness at his surroundings.
‘Generation S.L.U.T.’ is structured differently than most books you will come across nowadays. A storyline, complete with cartoons, is broken up into seven days of a very eventful week centered around a group of students in a small town. Beckerman effectively describes the destructiveness that goes along with fitting in. Sex becomes a tool to get recognized, but also to get revenge, and in this context disturbing things are witnessed.
In between these chapters, Beckerman has placed current statistics about reported adolescent sexual behavior and nationwide patterns of teenage violence along with quotes from anonymous teenagers about their views on sex. The real combined with the fictional pack an enormous punch. ‘Generation S.L.U.T’ is clever and progressive and Marty Beckerman has the potential to be a strong voice for our generation, so don’t miss it!

HALFWAY HEAVEN

Didn’t get into Harvard’s undergraduate program? This might be one of those rare moments when you can be glad you didn’t even apply.
Melanie Thernstrom’s nonfiction novel ‘Halfway Heaven’ tells the tale of one of the grisliest murder/suicides to occur within the hallowed, ivy walls. As she pulls you deeper into a twisted world of depression, loneliness and miles of red tape you begin to wonder how well you know your own classmates and the university system.
Sinedu, the murderess, is a foreign student from Ethiopia. One morning, a few days before commencement, she wakes up, calmly turns off her alarm, and with a hunting knife stabs her roommate Trang 45 times while she sleeps. Afterwards, she binds a length of rope around her neck and hangs herself from a shower rod.
The discovery of the bodies sets off a media frenzy. One in which everyone wants to know the answer to one question: Among the brightest and most privileged students in the nation