1

The 69th-ranked UC Irvine Women’s Tennis team beat Cal State Northridge, 6-1, at the Tennis Stadium on Feb. 26. Last year, UCI lost to the Matadors but this year it was payback.
UCI’s third-ranked doubles team of senior Christie Posner and sophomore Veronica Fermin were the first to win in the doubles matches 8-2. The second-ranked doubles team of juniors Kristina Boss and Hui Leow finished next with an 8-4 win. The winning streak continued as the number one doubles team of senior Tiffany Chang and junior Anna Benzter beat CSUN’s Ana Matijesevic and Yu Yu Myintun 8-5.
This enabled UC Irvine to win the doubles point. Head Coach Mike Edles believed this helped his team gain ‘momentum into the singles.’
In the singles matches, second-ranked Anna Bentzer was first to finish and win her match 6-0, 6-1. Her serves were unstoppable, as her opponent was unable to keep up with her.
In the first-ranked singles match, Chang proved her staying power in rallies as she swung a few low returns to her Matador opponent that went in her favor. She won the match 6-1, 6-0.
Chang felt she performed ‘well enough to get the job done’ and believed CSUN ‘definitely gave us a challenge.’
In the third-ranked singles match, Boss won 6-4, 6-4. Right next to her in the fifth-ranked court was Posner who played a solid game. Posner had strong returns and good footwork on the court as she won her match 6-4, 6-1.
The one loss of the day was in the fourth-ranked singles court with Leow 6-7, 6-3, (10-5). Finally, in the sixth-ranked singles court, junior Kelly Savin won her very first match at Irvine 3-6, 6-2, (10-6).
Benzter said the team is ‘doing much better mentally.’ Nevertheless they still have room for improvement.
‘We are a work in progress,’ Edles said and knows that the amount of confidence the team has will be vital to their success this year.