Anteater Volleyball Tames the Tigers in Win

4
4

The UC Irvine Men’s Volleyball team gained an incredible victory over the Pacific Tigers, 20-30, 30-19, 30-21 and 30-20 on March 6 at Crawford Court.
In game one, UCI registered a 20-30 loss as bad serves and a lack of communication caused them to falter.
‘The first game, we just had no blocks and inconsistent serves but once the fire was ignited [in game two], then the motions just kept going from there,’ said freshman middle blocker David Smith.
During game two, Irvine fired back with a score of 30-19 and then dominated and won the next two games thereafter, 30-21 and 30-20.
‘We took care of business. As the motion was getting better and better, we just tried to keep our emotions up and maintain our momentum. Each game, each point mattered,’ said sophomore libero Paul Spittle.
Spittle put on a great passing show and kept the spirit alive for Irvine.
‘Paul Spittle came in and played great, passed great and just overall, gave a ball that was easier to set for the players. He really helped to motivate the other players and provided a spark tonight,’ said Head Coach John Speraw.
Things were looking shaky for Pacific in game four when UCI held game point at 29-20. At this crucial moment, Pacific Head Coach Joe Wortmann received a yellow card after his outburst from what he believed was a ‘bad call’ by the referees.
‘UC Irvine was passing better and if you can’t pass, then you can’t set and if you can’t set, then you can’t hit,’ said Pacific Head Coach Joe Wortmann. ‘It was just a domino effect for us tonight starting with our passes.’
Overall, UCI gained a much-needed victory Saturday following an upsetting loss to Stanford the Friday before.