Ingenue Magazine Takes Hollywood From a Different Angle

1
1

It was the launch issue of Ingenue that first caught my eye in November, and just judging by the cover (which really shouldn’t be done, according to the old saying), I was immediately impressed and wanted to share my findings. But Ingenue’s first issue was released early last fall and hence, was already outdated by the time I got to it. So I stalked the magazine racks during every Barnes and Noble visit from then until it sprung up again, now just in time for spring.
Ingenue, which publishes quarterly, features Elisha Cuthbert as its Issue 2 cover girl and promises to deliver the best of ‘New Hollywood at work and play.’ According to Ingenue’s editor in chief (‘From the Editor’ on page 16), ‘New Hollywood’ is a movement all its own, and Ingenue’s mission is to corral ‘some fascinating firsthand looks into showbiz and the new Hollywood culture.’
Furthermore, readers of Ingenue’s premiere issue raved that while mention of Hollywood usually allows ‘some integrity to seep out of one’s soul these days, [Ingenue managed] not only to maintain [its integrity], but also create an extraordinary balance of solid journalism and enjoyable entertainment’ (‘Left Word,’ page 20).
After solid introductory pieces on hot spots worthy of praise in Los Angeles and New York City, Ingenue showcases the magazine’s launch party last October with ‘New Hollywood Seen.’ Guests included Kevin Smith, Danny Masterson, Taye Diggs and party co-hosts Jason Lee and Ali Larter.
Part of Ingenue’s claim to fame for the current issue is its ability to put a big ‘celebrity spotlight’ on Hollywood’s ‘brightest newcomers.’ Ingenue keeps its promise and introduces us to Matthew Goode, Johnny Messner and Elizabeth Reaser.
‘A Fox Slips Into Australia’ on page 52 details Fox Studios’ arrival in Sydney, Australia and the anticipated repercussions compared with the actual implications that a big-name company held for independent Australian filmmakers. This piece proves that Ingenue is taking itself seriously enough to focus on topics other than celebrities in the business.
To help reinforce the denial of a glamorous facade, page 61 begins a feature article entitled, ‘Work vs. Schmoozing.’ The article is an altogether fascinating and appreciably honest look into the world of actors, producers, directors and other genres of filmmakers and the art of schmoozing in order to advance one’s own career.
Ron Livingston’s ‘Leading Man’ interview on page 77 rolls out another crowd-pleaser. Known for his roles in ‘Office Space,’ ‘Swingers’ and ‘The Cooler,’ Livingston’s next project is a film called ‘Little Black Book’ with Brittany Murphy.
The magazine also features a spring fashion spread and interviews with ‘Starsky and Hutch’ director Todd Phillips and leading lady of ‘The Big Bounce,’ Sara Foster.
At this point, as the magazine comes to a close with ideas for vacationing in Northern California, I must applaud Ingenue