5

His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama will be visiting UC Irvine on April 16. He will be holding two talks at the UCI Bren Events Center.
The Dalai Lama has authored more than 60 books, among them one published just before 2000 entitled ‘Ethics for the New Millennium,’ whose title matches the theme title for his talks at UCI.
His Holiness discusses in this book the foundation of ethics, ethics and the individual and ethics for society. He also explores subjects such as the role of religion in modern society, disarmament and cross-cultural understanding.
The Dalai Lama will host a youth dialogue and a public talk.
In the youth dialogue, titled ‘Ethical Leadership Through Compassion,’ the Dalai Lama will be speaking on creating compassionate and ethical leadership both inside and outside the classroom. This talk is for middle school through college students only and will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Bren Events Center.
In the afternoon, the Dalai Lama will be holding a public talk entitled ‘Ethical Self Awareness and Personal Transformation.’ This talk will take place from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Bren Center. During this talk, he will discuss ethical individual and societal leadership for the new millennium. He will also outline his ideas for linking existing political, spiritual and community bridges in order to promote dialogue and cross-cultural understanding around the world.
A Tibetan Arts and Crafts Fair will also be taking place all day in conjunction with the talks. This event will be open to ticket holders of either of the two speaking events from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Local arts and crafts from the Tibetan community and the UCI Bookstore will be displayed inside the Berry Terrace of the Bren Events Center.
Later in the day, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., the Tibetan Arts and Crafts Faire will be opened to the general public. The Tibetan Arts and Crafts Faire will also be open to the general public from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday as part of Celebrate UCI, the UC Irvine annual open house.
In addition, the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art in Santa Ana is holding a coordinating exhibition entitled ‘Tibet: Treasures From the Roof of the World.’ It features the seal of the fifth Dalai Lama, the office of the Dalai Lama and other artifacts relating to Tibet and the Dalai Lama. The exhibit is now open, and will close Sept. 12 .
In accordance with Tibetan tradition, the 14th Dalai Lama was chosen at the age of two as a reincarnation of his predecessor. In 1950, at the age of 15, he was called upon to assume full political responsibility as head of state and government of Tibet when the country was threatened by China.
The pressure from communist China reached a boiling point in March 1959 and resulted in a Tibetan uprising. His Holiness the Dalai Lama and 100,000 Tibetans escaped into exile. Since 1960, the Dalai Lama has lived in exile in Dharamsala, India.
The Dalai Lama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 and is renowned for his dedication to peace and compassion.
Tickets to both events are sold out. If you have tickets for either of the events, be sure to arrive 90 minutes early to allow for parking and security clearance.