Executive Vice Presidential Candidates

2
2

Alexander Fugua
Fourth-year political science and philosophy major
Why are you interested in the vice
president position?
I have been working on a few long term projects, such as the Free Speech and Advocacy Committee and the Student Fee Policy Committee, and would like to see them succeed. I also try to live my life by following a simple creed, ‘the great joy of serving others.’ This particular position will give me the necessary ability to reach out to more people than I would normally have access to.

In what ways are you qualified to be a
student leader?
First, I am an At-Large representative on ASUCI’s Legislative Council, thus I already have experience serving 20,000-plus students. Secondly, I’m personable. A leader must be able to get along with the people he works with, as well as the people that want his help. I have always promoted group unity and philanthropy. Third, I am a Humanities Honors student, which requires a certain degree of responsibility. Since the Executive Vice President position requires a high level of responsibility in order to maintain the office, I believe my academic background has provided me with a necessary qualification to assume the role of a student leader. Last but not least, I have done extensive work with the Free Speech and Advocacy Committee at UCI, and have assumed a leading role in the Student Fee Policy Committee.

In this era of budget cuts, how will you fight against rising student fees?
I am against rising student fees, as well as the over the unit surcharge and the dual enrollment proposal. This past quarter I wrote legislation to approve mailing postcards to all UCI undergraduate parents, asking the parents to help their student fight the rising tuition fees by contacting their Congressman and voicing their disapproval of the fee increase.

Tammy Nguyen
Second-year political science major
Why are you interested in the vice
president position?

Throughout my time here at UCI I see that the disunity on our campus is preventing us from truly reaching our full potential. If given the opportunity to be in such a leadership role I could utilize my resources to lay out the foundation for real, lasting change to UCI’s social make-up.

In what ways are you qualified to be a
student leader?

I understand the campus politics and I see its weaknesses and am ready to change them. I’ve worked with both the student groups on campus as well as with the leadership from other UCs on a statewide level.

How will you get students more involved and integrated within their university?

Through a more open and intimate sharing of information among all groups. Until we become invested in each other’s issues and interests we will never care enough to take action. It’s time to break down the walls, educate ourselves, support each other and build those crucial campus coalitions that we need in order to promote growth.

In this era of budget cuts, how will you contribute to the fight against rising student fees?

We must first and foremost educate our student body on the student fees. Next, we need to rally the student groups lobby the Regents and the legislators to make sure that our voices and our concerns are being heard by the people who are making the decisions that effect our education.

Ryan Sanders
Second-year political science major
Why are you interested in the vice
president position?
Students are under constant attack with budget cuts, fee increases and the elimination of vital programs. With my experience, passion and ideas, I know I will be an executive vice president who will build strong advocates and coalitions on this campus to fight for students.

In what ways are you qualified to be a
student leader?
Being a leader on this campus is not something I will become but is what I have been and will continue to be as executive vice president. Over the past two years I have represented students on Legislative Council, served as finance committee chair, as a representative for UCI students to the University of California Students Association and to State Legislature and in many other capacities. Beyond any position or title, leadership is the ability to inspire actions and my philosophy of working to empower students qualifies me as a leader on campus.

The greatest problem in getting students involved in the university is failure to connect how university issues affect students. As executive vice president, I’ll not only make it clear what impact these issues have on students but also, the power students have to influence them.

In this era of budget cuts how will you fight against rising student fees?
I will work to dramatically expand our lobby and legislative affairs programs, working with communities on this campus and programs like LobbyCore to produce advocates who will fight for policy alternatives to cuts to UC and the students who suffer from them.