Vice Presidential Candidates-Student Services

1
1

Adam Boothby
Third-year sociology and women’s studies major

Why are you interested in this position?
I have been involved at ASUCI for the past three years. I feel that every student deserves the right to see an event which he or she wants, whether that be large festivals or a small speaker series. I feel that programming events is one of the key components that alleviates stress on a college campus.

In what ways are you qualified to become a leader on campus?
I am a member of the Greek system, ASUCI and a leader in this year’s CIA [Completely Insane Anteaters]. I have also worked closely with the dean of students. My ability to interact between these people gives me an edge over my opponent.

How will you promote school spirit and awareness of campus events?
I hope to raise more school spirit and awareness of events taking place at UCI by executing a Web-based analytical survey system deigned to figure out what students want to see, put out a weekly ad in the New University and provide larger publicity stunts in order to grab students’ attention.

Ji Son
Third-year aerospace mechanical engineering major

I am interested in this position because I am an individual full of school spirit and I believe that school spirit is necessary to bring students together and to create a strong sense of community and belonging. I also want to program events like concerts and festivals, and communicate with the campus to help.

Having been involved on campus in many different parts such as athletics, Greeks, engineering, housing (Mesa Court), International Center and ASUCI, not only have I improved my leadership skills such as communication, organization, etc. but I learned to really listen to what the students want on campus. I believe a great leader needs to listen.

I believe the key is to keep the campus lively because people say that UCI is dead. When organizations are out on Ring Road, the campus is lively, and we need more of that. We need concerts that appeal to the majority of students.