UCI Badminton Stars At Stanford

16
16

Badminton is truly an exciting sport. After this year’s National Collegiate Badminton Tournament at Stanford, there is no doubt
about it. UC Irvine’s Badminton team competed against and
defeated teams from UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, Stanford, Illinois, UCLA and other schools to take first prize.
The tournament implemented the pool system in which a certain amount of points were awarded for winning certain types of games. Two points were awarded for pool matches that were held on Saturday.
Four points were awarded
for ‘bracket’ matches involved
in semifinals and finals that were
held on Sunday. UCI won the
tournament, earning a total of 162 points. Taking second place was
Berkeley with a grand total of 152 points. Third place was given to UCSD for their 102 points.
After the initial pool games on Saturday, the point standings were very close.
UCI and Berkeley were neck-and-neck for the race to pick up first in the points. The excitement surrounding Sunday’s games was perfectly clear, especially when the gym was packed with excited fans for the final nerve-racking men’s doubles match between UC Irvine and Berkeley.
UC Irvine nearly swept all of the events on Sunday, losing only at the mixed doubles event.
Some of UCI’s star players include Erin Hois who competed in the women’s singles and doubles events and won both. Hois also competes for UCI’s tennis team.
Daniel Chen also made his mark, competing in both the men’s singles and doubles and winning in both.
Other competitors for UCI are Jennifer Coleman and Henry Ng. Coleman took second in the women’s singles event and first in the women’s doubles event as Hois’ teammate.
Ng competed with Chen in the men’s doubles event where the two won first.
The women’s singles event was decided in a final match between Coleman and Hois.
The final match for the women’s doubles event was between UC Irvine’s Coleman and Hois
against UCSD’s women’s doubles team.
The win at Stanford has proven UCI to be a tough competitor in the badminton community.
This year’s goal for the
teams was to become more competitive and they have done just that.
The club has undergone several changes including the addition of Coach Don Van and upgrading
from plastic to feather shuttlecocks.
The UCI Badminton team was established in 2000 and still encourages players from all levels of experience. They are a hard-working and persistent club that practices and competes on a regular basis.
UCI’s team competes in the Southern California Collegiate Badminton League with other
college teams including UC
San Diego, USC, Cal Poly SLO, Cal Tech, SDSU and PCC.
The club would like to encourage anyone interested in competing or making new friends to take part.