Pre-Game Rituals Are More Than Just That

1
1

A lucky pair of socks that you only wear on game day, a necklace that you wear for a big race or a prayer that you quickly whisper to yourself as you stand ready for the official to start the match.
From eating pasta to kissing your significant other to getting a good-luck hug from your mom, these all mean the same thing: They are the rituals we have to perform or say before every match, game or race.
Remember swimmer Amanda Beard from the Olympics who used to carry around her teddy bear for good luck? Or NBA player Karl Malone, who wears the same pair of socks for every game during the NBA season?
Maybe not all athletes have a good-luck ritual before big games, but why do those who do have one carry out this same act over and over again?
For one, it’s something they’ve been doing for so long that they just continue to do it for the sake of it.
Maybe your good-luck charm is something a loved one gave you. This object is extremely valued, cherished by only you, and now it has evolved into your good-luck charm.
Can it be because some of us are superstitious? Of course! You have to wear the rubber band on your left wrist because it will help you win a soccer game, and if you don’t or if it breaks, then your team will loose the game. So you do it for yourself and the team.
Perhaps it simply provides you with comfort. It eases your worries and anxieties. Maybe you wear the necklace or keep that smooth rock in your pocket for protection. I know it might sound crazy, but maybe it gives you a sense of security when you’re experiencing new places and people by yourself. I think these charms or material objects, including food, are not just there for us right before a game