The Bren Presents Celebrity WTT All-Star Smash Hits

3
3

The legendary Sir Elton John and Billie Jean King are hosting the 12th Annual World Tennis Team Smash Hits event on Oct. 11th at 7 p.m. in the Bren Events Center.
The charity event, which is promoted by ADT Security Services, will profit both the Elton John AIDS foundation and the National AIDS Fund.
WTT Smash Hits was started in 1992 and has raised over $5 million.
Professional tennis stars Andre Agassi, Anna Kournikova and Andy Roddick will all be present at the event and play tennis against one another.
Brad Gilbert, Agassi’s former coach and Roddick’s current coach, will pair off with Roddick in a doubles match against Agassi and his current coach, Darren Cahill.
Before Gilbert began his coaching career, he was a part of the WTT and won a total of 20 ATP Tour singles as well as three doubles titles.
Gilbert coached Agassi after he retired and then went on to coach Roddick, who recently ranked as high as number one in the world.
Cahill also made his mark as a professional player by winning 13 ATP doubles titles.
Cahill, like Gilbert, pushed his former pupil, Lleyton Hewitt to a number one world ranking in 2001. Now Cahill is coaching Agassi, and has brought him back to a top-10 ranking in the world.
Next week, Roddick and Agassi will also play a singles match against each other as well as a mixed doubles match with Kournikova and Tracy Austin, who was recently added to the lineup. Austin was a part of the very first WTT All-Star Smash Hits in 1992. Austin has been a tennis phenomenon since she was a teenager.
In 1979, she won her first of two U.S. Open titles at the age of 16. She later went on to win the mixed doubles in Wimbledon in 1980 with her brother, John.
In 1992, Austin was the youngest tennis player to be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Austin has stood in as a tennis commentator for NBC and ABC and is still contributing to Fox Sports and the USA Network.
The players in each match will have a team captain: either Sir Elton John or King. A total of five sets will be played under a tailored World Team Tennis format for the event.
John, King, Kournikova and Roddick are scheduled to play a doubles match against celebrities.
The Elton John AIDS Foundation supports prevention through education of HIV and AIDS as well as helping men, women and children who may be at risk for HIV and AIDS and are in need of immediate patient care. This international non-profit organization is now in it’s 12th year.
A few of the many official sponsors for the charity event include Johnson & Johnson, HBO sports, Orange County Register, Mercedes Benz and Gatorade.
ADT is the official sponsor for the event, which is celebrating it’s 129th anniversary.
ADT is the number one provider in electronic security services to more than 500 million customers in the U.S.
Tickets for the event are currently on sale between $40 to $150. UCI students will be able to receive a discount on the ticket price.
Tickets can be purchased at any Ticketmaster as well as the Bren Events Center box office. If anyone is interested in buying tickets, they can call the Bren Events Center box office at 949.824-5000 or ticketmaster at 714.740-2000.