A Day in the Life of an American Londoner

2
2

After almost three months of life in London, I find this bustling city gradually becoming home to me.
In adjusting to living in a foreign land and facing the challenges of a new school system, I have become accustomed to the amazing sights I see while completing my daily routine.
Every morning, I rise to the skyline of London’s South Bank outside of my window. After getting ready for my classes, I exit my building onto Stamford Street, a busy and, at times, dangerous road due to dense traffic.
As I reach the end of the block, I am faced by the huge BFI London IMAX Theatre, a circular glass structure lit in dramatic shades of blue by nightfall.
Just behind the theater, the sound of trains on their way to Paris’ Gare Du Nord station and Brussels, Belgium can be heard leaving Waterloo Rail Station.
Joining the throngs of students and executives rushing down the street, I walk toward the Waterloo Bridge, a main thoroughfare into the central city that provides unparalleled views of an incredible city.
On my left, the British Airways London Eye, the largest observation wheel in the world, dominates the sky with its transparent cabins filled with tourists eager for an aerial view of Britain’s capital. At nine pounds per trip, it is a rather expensive Kodak moment.
Just beyond the wheel is the Westminster Bridge leading directly to the houses of parliament and Big Ben, structures that are equally impressive in person than they are in photographs, if not more.
Continuing, I glance to the right, allowing my eye to follow the bend of the Thames River as it reveals St. Paul’s Cathedral on its left bank and, eventually, the skyscrapers of Canary Wharf, a relatively modern business development.
When I first arrived in London, I wandered across the bridge in awe, staring amazedly at the sights and shocked by the locals’ lack of interest in them.
With time, however, I have come to realize the constancy of change and find myself accustomed to their presence, a feeling of adaptation that is truly amazing.
Reaching the Strand, a busy street across the river, I stop at a local caf