MSU Speak Against Atrocities

4
4

The University of California Irvine seems to be running on hearsay.
Never in the history of the Muslim Student Union has it encouraged any type of violence or hate toward an ethnic group or religion.
The MSU’s only aim is to speak out against and inform the student body of the horrors and atrocities carried out against the Palestinian people as a result of the Zionist movement and the state of Israel. The MSU is not anti-Jewish in any way, shape or form.
The MSU speaks out against Zionism which is, as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a political movement aimed at creating a Jewish national state of Israel in Palestine through means of occupation.
This does not mean that all Jews are Zionist, a point repeatedly made by Amir Abdel Malik Ali.
Yet Adam Cooper remained bluntly biased and bigoted in his commentary in last week’s issue of the New University.
I was not aware that it is crime for a campus organization to speak out against oppression, occupation and humanitarian violations and stand up to the face of injustice carried out against the Palestinian people.
Or does it become a crime because the state spoken against is Israel?
Adam Cooper is wrong in calling MSU’s invited speaker a war rally. A war rally is not a man speaking the truth about the horrors of Israel against the defenseless Palestinian people.
A war rally is clearly invoking violence by calling for civil uprising and disorder, absolutely none of which occurred at Ali’s speech.
And why in the world would Amir-Abdel Malik and MSU be anti-Semitic when so many of the group’s members are Semites themselves?
Adam Cooper should know that a Semite is a person from Southwestern Asia, including Akkadians, Phoenicians and Arabs.
It was only until the Hebrews occupied Palestine that they were referred to as Semites.
The New University has been feeding the student population with enough bigotry, racism and bias against student organizations who only aim to end oppression, bring awareness and confront injustice.
Is it not appalling that our government is currently in the process of delivering a grand Mid-East peace solution, and as a response the Jerusalem Coalition drags an Israeli symbol of sympathy across the country to once again utilize public pity only to misinform the public as to why this bus was really destroyed.
The entire bus episode in which the Jerusalem Coalition paraded across the country was to create pro-Israeli rhetoric aimed at dehumanizing the Palestinians by creating a one-sided picture of a complex issue.
Why did the Jerusalem Coalition International ship Israeli Bus 19 to the UC Irvine campus on Jan. 31, 2005? They claimed that their aim was to create awareness in the United States of global terrorism.
If Jerusalem Coalition’s goal is to show what terrorism looks like, then why didn’t they bring the thousands of demolished refugee camps, decapitated children and the millions of bulldozed olive trees from Bethlehem along with them?
These intentions are not to create peace, but to continue to label the Palestinian people as non-negotiating terrorists by squashing hope for peace and igniting hate as well as animosity.
The Palestinians have little choice in what to do.
Shall they ship their demolished refugee camps along with their half-limbed children and starving population over to UCI to show the student body the crimes of occupation by the state of Israel?
Maybe it would be more effective to show videos of the 800 Palestinian children under the age of 11 who are in Israeli prisons, of frantic parents searching the rubble for their babies or of pregnant Palestinian women being forced to give birth handcuffed to jail beds.
Dragging Bus 19 to America now