UCI Splits Two-Game Series With BYU

3
3

UC Irvine Head Baseball Coach Dave Serrano is not wasting any time rebuilding this year’s team. After winning two of three games at Cal and sweeping the Washington Huskies last weekend, the 19th-ranked Anteaters toppled the BYU Cougars, 9-6, on Feb. 18, a night in which both teams combined for 32 hits in the second game of the series.
BYU won the first game of the series, 5-1, on Feb. 17 but UCI came back to even out the series with a win the following night.
Due to the heavy rain on Friday night and Saturday morning, the third game of the series was cancelled. The series ended in a split.
The win moved UCI to a 6-2 overall record while BYU suffered their first loss of the season and fell to 1-1.
On Thursday night, UCI only managed to put one run on the scoreboard, while the following night’s game saw seven of the nine starting Anteaters record at least one hit apiece.
Senior right fielder Danny Miramontes went three for four with two RBIs while fellow senior and second baseman Brett Dalton had a three-hit night as he drove in three runs. Sophomore pitcher Justin Cassel improved to 2-0 for the season after pitching five-and-one-third innings and striking out four batters. Sophomore closing pitcher Blair Erickson recorded his second save of the early season when he struck out four of the seven batters he faced.
Saturday afternoon’s series finale that was cancelled will not be rescheduled. The Anteaters wrap up their homestand Tuesday night against the Pepperdine Waves at 6:00 p.m. before heading east to Spartansburg, S.C. where they will take on the Clemson Tigers.