One Match Made the Difference in SDSU Win

8
8

UC Irvine’s 67th-ranked Women’s Tennis team (4-5) played the 69th-ranked Aztecs of San Diego State University in a four-hour face-off at Anteater Stadium on Feb. 26. The Anteaters lost 3-4 despite a tremendous effort.
With the Anteaters number two player, Izabela Mijic, on disability, and with hopes of UCI improving overall doubles performance, the game started with new pairings on courts one and two.
The first point was made on court three, however. Anteater sophomore Jayme Hu and freshman Lisa Shih matched up against Aztec freshmen Sisse Nielsen and Nina Spaeth. UCI took the point, winning 8-5 with dominant serving. On court two, senior Hui Leow and freshman Becky Bernhard followed with another win against SDSU’s junior Dita Hauerlandova and sophomore Alesya Vidov scoring 8-6.
‘We did great,’ Leow said. ‘It was the first time I played with Becky.’
Court one featured No. 102 Anteater senior Anna Bentzer and freshman Inna Agababian. The two fought hard against UCSD senior Indra Erichsen and junior Andrea Hermansen by showing strong teamwork, but they couldn’t keep up and were outplayed with a 6-8 loss.
UCI Head Coach Mike Edles praised their performance.
‘Despite the loss in number one doubles, [Bentzer and Agababian] played well,’ Edles said.
The match moved next to court six for singles, where the Aztecs marked up another point when Shih retired with an injury after 0-6, 0-3 against Spaeth. SDSU pulled ahead to a score of 2-1 when UCI’s Bernhard lost to Vidov on court two. The Aztec’s stamina gave them the win, as she stayed strong and took the point, finishing 6-1, 6-4.
The Anteaters came back to tie the match when Bentzer beat Hauerlandova on court one, scoring 6-0, 7-5. Bentzer showed a definitive control on the court. Though Hauerlandova eventually brought up her game in the second set, it wasn’t enough to match Bentzer’s solid play. UCI took the lead when Agababian defeated Erichsen, winning 6-3, 6-4 with powerful returns on court three. The Aztecs won on court five for another tie as freshman Eliska Krausova scored 7-5, 6-3 against Anteater freshman Jessica Broadfoot.
With a score of 3-3, the match came down to a final point on court four. Leow played hard and kept up her game against Hermansen, winning the first set. Hermansen, however, answered strong and fought hard to take the next two sets, taking the final point home with a score of 4-6, 7-6, 6-2. The Aztecs took the game with that final point.
Agababian commented on her play after the game.
‘In doubles I played well, but I was making a lot of errors,’ Agababian said. ‘In singles I was more focused