Cornered! A Weekly CD Review.

4
4

I want to like Acceptance. I really do. They seem like pretty nice guys and I honestly believe that they’re trying to make good music.
I can’t help but admire the spunk of a cookie-cutter pop-punk band that, when asked to name their influences, lists The Beatles and Eric Clapton alongside No Use for a Name and Lagwagon. In fact, they list about 15 bands in total, which might explain why they sound like an amalgam of everything I’ve heard before.
It’s not like Acceptance is a terrible band. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ascended to some moderate level of popularity.
They’re like one of those bands that you might sort of pay attention to at Warped Tour while you’re waiting for a band you like to take the stage.
Listening to the album for me was a similar experience. I popped it in as I drove from Irvine to San Diego and the music provided background noise as I thought about how I should probably check the oil in my car pretty soon and tried to calculate my mileage per gallon.
This really isn’t as bad as it probably sounds. I am predisposed to dislike all pop-punk, so when I say that Acceptance is good enough for me to ignore (as opposed to saying that they make me want to claw my ears out) you can consider it as a mark of approval.
This seven-song EP contains five new songs, two live songs and some multimedia content, including a music video for ‘Permanent’ and an interview with the band.
The video consists of concert footage interspersed with other clips that were confusing to me, such as a band member having a fish thrown at him or pretending to sleep in an airport.
In the interview, one of the band members says, ‘I think that Jason writes the lyrics so they’re vague enough that you can really take a lot of different things from them,’ which I guess is true to the extent that the lyrics don’t make any sense.
Consider ‘Permanent,’ the opening track, which contains lines such as: ‘All these promises, won’t turn golden / Until you touch them. / It’s permanent, nothing is permanent. / We’ll be watching your back / Following … Indecision has lasted for years.’
This track was also featured in ‘ATV 3: Off Road Fury,’ so depending on your definition of success, you could say that Acceptance has already hit the big time, which is impressive since they’re all in their early twenties.