4

Track & Field Finishes Strong at BH Invite
Berkeley, Calif. – April 9 – The UC Irvine Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field teams’ Kim Ramirez and Ricky Barnes ended the Brutus Hamilton Invitational with second place finishes at the Edwards/Stadium Goldman Field.
Other Anteaters who placed included Amber Nefas in the 400m, Candice Proctor in the 5,000m, Suzanne Purmort in the 400m hurdles and Tom Whelan in the one-mile.
Track & Field Athletes of the Week
Irvine, Calif. – April 6 – UC Irvine Track and Field juniors Ricky Barnes and Mike Beerer were honored as Big West Conference Athletes of the Week. At the Big West Challenge Cup held April 2, Barnes placed first in the 1500m and 3000m races and Beerer’s won the hammer throw competition as both helped the UCI Men’s team to a team title.
W. Water Polo Loses to No. 2 USC
Los Angeles, Calif. – April 9 – The UC Irvine Women’s Water Polo team was defeated by No. 2 USC, 11-5 at the McDonald’s Swim Stadium. The Anteaters will play Hawaii a home game on April 15th against Hawaii.
Morton Nationally Ranked
Irvine, Calif. – April 8 – UC Irvine senior tennis player, Brian Morton of the men’s tennis team has been ranked 115th nationally. The men’s tennis team will face Sacramento State at Anteater Tennis Stadium on April 11.
M. Golf Finishes 8th at Tourney
Lompoc, Calif. – April 5 – The UC Irvine Men’s golf team ended the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate tournament in a three-way tie with Hawaii and UC Riverside. Anteater Garrett Sapp placed 10th followed by teammate Brian Edick at 24th and a 42nd placed tie between UCI’s Jay Choe and Kenny Kim. UCI will next compete in the U.S. Intercollegiate tournament held at the Stanford Golf Course on the weekend of April 16-17.
W. Golf Places 10th at Invite
Stanford, Calif. – April 10 – The UC Irvine Women’s Golf team finished 10th overall at the Peg Bernard Invitational with a score of 320. UCI freshman Jane Chin gave UCI its highest placing with a 30th place finish. The team will next compete in the Big West Championship April 18-19 at Tijeras Creek.

Molly Tuter Named W. B-Ball Head Coach
Irvine, Calif. – March 23 – Interim Head Coach of the Women’s Basketball team, Molly Tuter, was named the new Head Coach for the women’s basketball team by Athletic Director Bob Chichester. Tuter has been an assistant coach for the team since 2000 and as of this past winter was baned the Interium head coach. Tuter helped lead UCI to a second round showing at the Big West Conference.