Schroer Leads UCI to Shutout Victory Over No. 29 Cal Poly

3
3

Needing a strong finish to their season to push their way into the NCAA tournament, the UC Irvine Baseball team (31-25, 10-11 Big West) got a big boost on Saturday, May 28.
The Anteaters rebounded from a tough 6-3 loss on Friday night with a dominating 11-0 victory over the No. 29 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Mustangs (35-20, 13-7) in front of 1,012 fans at Anteater Ballpark.
The Anteaters were fueled by the offense of junior catcher Mark Wagner and the lights-out pitching of senior Steve Schroer.
Wagner paced the Anteaters’ offense with his consistent and timely hitting, going 3-4 for the day with a home run and five RBIs.
Schroer, in what was his last start at home in his pitching career with UCI, threw a complete-game shutout.
‘The special part of the day for me was that it was Steve Schroer’s senior day,’ said UCI head coach Dave Serrano. ‘[He’s] a young man that I think has given his heart and soul for the last four years to this program.’
Schroer’s complete game was the first of his career as an Anteater and couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for UCI. The Anteaters are fighting for a berth in the NCAA tournament and need to show the selection committee that they deserve to be there.
It is believed that UCI’s biggest obstacle to making the tournament is Cal Poly.
With Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State almost guaranteed to be selected, UCI and Cal Poly are battling to be the third team selected from the Big West Conference