Scary Kids Scaring Kids on a School Night

4
4

For their first headlining tour and debut at Chain Reaction on Sept. 29, the members of the indie rock band Scary Kids Scaring Kids were serenaded by loyal followers with the happy birthday song for bass guitarist and lead vocalist Tyson Stevens, who had just turned 20 that night, and were greeted at the end of their concert by new fans who inhaled the sounds from their new album, ‘The City Sleeps in Flames.’
Scary Kids Scaring Kids’ performance was tinged with a bit of screamo, but ultimately resonated the themes of love, hate and the apocalypse across to their remarkably receptive crowd.
I had a chance to catch up with a few members of Scary Kids Scaring Kids after their well-received set, and
discuss the hype surrounding the band, their lives and their new fulllength album which was released by Immortal Records this past summer.
Native musicians from the small southwestern city of Gilbert, Ariz., Scary Kids Scaring Kids formed during their formative years of high school.
‘We were just messing around and had nothing better to do, so we just picked up instruments and started jamming and it just grew from there,’ said guitarist Steve Kirby.
As a band, the group is still relatively new on the music scene and young in years, with the oldest member being only 21.
Still, what the Scary Kids lack in age, they make up for with their hauntingly mature melodies.
‘You just mature being in the studio. From the time that we went in to record the full-length to the time we got out. You get a lot of experiences from touring, as well,’ said guitarist and backing vocalist Chad Crawford.
One may wonder what ignited their musical passion.
When asked who their influences are, the members of Scary Kids Scaring Kids, unanimously named the infamous king of pop, Michael Jackson.
‘A lot of people ask us who we would like to tour with, who we would like to sleep with, et cetera. The answer to all of those questions would be Michael Jackson,’ Stevens said.
These not-so-scary kids admit that as musicians, their life differs when not performing.
‘When we get on stage we become different people. We could f- –ing kill someone on stage. As people, we are really easy-going and down to earth,’ Kirby said.
Most parents shun their kids from going to too many concerts or even contemplating about living the rock and roll lifestyle. However, for the members of Scary Kids, their families have been supportive of the path they have chosen