Men’s Basketball Upsets No. 13 Stanford

3
3

Stanford, Calif. – Nov. 19 – The Anteaters toppled the 13th-ranked Stanford Cardinal last Saturday afternoon, leaving Maples Pavilion with a 79-63 win. The victory was UCI Head Coach Pat Douglass’ 500th in his 25-year career.
‘As far as the 500th victory, I am sure I will be able to look back some day and realize how special this was,’ Douglass said. ‘I am just happy we were able to put forth a fine effort and come away with the win.’
The win over Stanford was the highest-ranked team UCI has defeated since a 74-70 win over the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 1988.
Senior guard Ross Schraeder and sophomore post Darren Fells also had a reason to celebrate after the victory. Schraeder brought UCI a total of 19 points during the game while Fells added a career-high of 18 points in addition to his nine rebounds, five assists and two blocked shots.
The Anteaters did trail after the opening basket of the game but were able to gain and maintain their lead by halftime. They shot 69.2 percent from the floor during the first half, including 75 percent of their three pointers.
‘To come up here and beat a fine ball club will give us great confidence,’ Douglass said. ‘I am very pleased with the effort we gave.’
You can catch the Anteaters back on the court this Tuesday night, Nov. 22, as they host Santa Clara at the Bren Events Center.

COMPILED BY RIKIN PATEL
STaff Writer