Regents Raise Fees, Employee Salaries

7
7

Fees for students at the University of California will increase again under the budget proposal approved by the UC Regents during their Nov. 16 and 17 meeting at UC Berkeley. Meanwhile, UC employees will receive what the UC Office of the President calls ‘modest annual salary increases.’
Resident undergraduate students will have their fees increased by 8 percent ($492), which will bring the average UC undergraduate student’s fees to $7, 294.
Resident graduate students will see a 10 percent ($690) increase in fees, bringing their average total fees to $9,398.
Professional students will have a 5 percent ($358) increase. Combined with a temporary two-year fee increase of $1,050 approved last year, total fees for professional students will range from $12,092 to $28,871, depending on what program a student is enrolled in.
This marks the fifth consecutive year of fee increases for UC students. Whereas undergraduate students entering the UC in 2002 paid about $4,300 in fees, students entering the school now will pay about $3,000 more.
In the meeting, regents also sought to keep UC executive salaries competitive by providing salary increases of 2.5 percent.
‘Even with this year’s merit increases, the salaries of many senior UC managers still significantly fall below market,’ according to a UC Office of the President press release. ‘For example, the current average UC chancellor salary of $312,370 lags the average salary of UC’s full group of 26 comparison institutions ($415,798) by 33 percent, and lags the average salary of UC’s private university competitors ($547,343) by 75 percent.’
These statistics may give the false impression that the average UC chancellor salary is 33 percent less than at the comparison institutions and 75 percent less than at the private university competitors.
The average UC chancellor salary is actually 24.9 percent less than the $415,798 cited for the 26 comparison institutions. Similarly, the average UC chancellor’s salary is 42.9 percent less than the private university competitors.
UC Irvine Chancellor Michael Drake currently receives $350,000, which is 15.8 percent less than the average salary at the comparison institutions. Former UCI Chancellor Ralph Ciccerone received a $280,700 salary, but this amount was raised when Drake took the position so that he would not be forced to take a salary cut when assuming his new job as chancellor. Drake made $350,000 in his prior position as vice president of health affairs for the UC.
Nonexecutive employees are also slated to receive slight raises. UC staff employees not covered by union contracts already received general salary increases based on a 3.5 percent funding pool on Oct. 1. Increases for union employees are governed by collective bargaining agreements.
During the meeting, the Regents also approved RE-61, a proposal ‘aimed at ensuring competitive compensation and benefits for all UC faculty and staff.’
One controversial provision of this proposal concerned the use of private funds to supplement salaries of UC executives. Discussion of this provision was not allowed at the Nov. 16 and 17 meetings.
‘Much of the attention to RE-61 has focused on just one part of the proposal