‘Vendetta’ Provokes Irresponsibly

3
3

The Wachowski brothers are famous for their modern ‘1984’ parable, ‘The Matrix’ trilogy. Those films, needless to say, had quite an impact on the pop culture scene, not only because they redefined action films for the modern generation, but also because of their powerful message concerning humanity held captive by the technology that we ourselves created. With a strong cult following, ‘The Matrix’ led many to question the direction of our society and left us wondering whether our computer-obsessed lifestyle would result in our demise as free-thinking human beings.
In reality, the strongest segment of ‘The Matrix’ fan base is made up of those who are most obsessed with computers. Those who will mature into the antisocial adults who just might create the technology that ultimately imprisons humanity until the coming of the Southern California-accented ‘one.’ Ironically, these are the same individuals who shout about the importance of the message the Wachowski brothers are sending. They see the power of the message but do they understand it? Doubtful.
‘V for Vendetta’ is The Wachowski brothers’ second attempt at thought-provoking action cinema. This time the ultraliberal duo take aim directly at the Bush administration in a film set in a police state with a terrorist as the superhero. The original comic book on which the film was based was written in the 1980s during the reign of Margaret Thatcher in Great Britain.
The comic book warned of the imminent threat of a totalitarian uprising within the government if Thatcher were to continue on in her role as prime minister. She did and, needless to say, Thatcher never became a feared dictator. Instead she advanced Britain’s economy and worked with Reagan to overthrow the Soviet Union. She became one of the most respected prime ministers in Britain’s history. The average die-hard Wachowski fan, though, is not nearly intelligent enough to know this important morsel of information, which contextualizes the film and leads to a more critical analysis of the message it so desperately wants to send.
The message: Bush is so bad that we should join Osama Bin Laden’s team. No joke. If you don’t believe me, go watch the movie and if you have most of your chromosomes intact, you will have no problem catching this clear and distinctive message.
When converting the comic into a screenplay, he Wachowski’s added numerous parallels between Bush and the dictator figure (appeals to religion, corporate cronyism, domestic spying—it’s all there waiting for us to become outraged). What’s worse is that the hero of the film is aligned with Osama Bin Laden. He’s the terrorist the government so desperately wants to kill or capture, but can’t be found. In fact, he’s living in an underground cave, where no wiretap or Secret Service agent could ever penetrate. There’s even a martyred media-man who is so obviously a stand-in for Michael Moore that it hurts. I’ll leave the other parallels unidentified in case you want to check the film out for yourself, but rest assured, they are there.
The film ends with the terrorist’s successful explosion of the Parliament building in Great Britain. Fireworks go up as hundreds of thousands of his masked recruits stand around and tearfully applaud the destruction. I watch this and think, ‘Wow, the Wachowskis are so blinded by their own one-sided liberalism that they can’t see the irony in their own work. Yeah, overthrow the Bush regime, but for what? More death and destruction, only this time, we’ll do it in the name of Allah instead of liberty, democracy and all of those other inspirational little nuggets on which the U.S. constitution is based.’
I have no problem with filmmakers voicing their opinions