Wednesday, April 17, 2024
HomeSportsGlenn Swanson Pitches First No Hitter In 32 Years

Glenn Swanson Pitches First No Hitter In 32 Years

For senior pitcher Glenn Swanson, Tuesday’s 7-0 victory over the University of San Diego wasn’t just another game. Swanson only allowed one walk in nine innings and led UC Irvine to their first no-hitter in 32 years.
‘It’s a great feeling,’ Swanson said. ‘It still hasn’t fully hit me, but I knew something special happened by the look on my teammates’ faces and the look in the coaches’ eyes after all was said and done that night.’
‘It was an unbelievable performance by Glenn,’ said UCI Head Coach Dave Serrano. ‘He did a great job, keeping San Diego off balance.’
The last no-hitter occurred back in 1974 when former Anteater Tad Davis led UCI to a remarkable 18-0 win over Southern Utah.
‘I felt like I was being introduced into a special club or fraternity,’ Swanson said in response to a call he received from Davis after the game.
Swanson led UCI’s defense throughout the game while the Anteater offense came to life in the third and fifth innings. Sophomore catcher Aaron Lowenstein brought in the first run of the game in the bottom of the third after a double from junior infielder Cody Cipriano. Senior first baseman Jamie Martinez finished the inning with a sacrifice fly that brought in sophomore outfielder Taylor Holiday, giving the Anteaters a 4-0 lead.
Junior outfielder Matthew Morris scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth after freshman infielder Ben Orloff brought in his second of the game. Morris’ two runs pushed the Anteaters to a 7-0 lead, ending the scoring for the night.
Ricardo Pescina pitched 4.1 innings for USD and gave up seven runs on nine hits. Swanson’s one-walk performance greatly overshadowed that of Pescina during the game.
‘The walk wasn’t too tough to deal with while I was pitching, but afterwards I thought about it and it hurt a little,’ Swanson said. ‘I’m just glad that I was able to keep my composure and throw strikes.’
The Anteaters followed up Swanson’s performance with a sweep of UC Davis this weekend.