Politics Dictate Disapproval Of Marijuana by the FDA

5
5

Partisan politics has once again leaked into the medical community.
The Food and Drug Administration has recently issued a statement declaring that marijuana has no medicinal value and can no longer be prescribed to patients by doctors.
I am happy with this proclamation and am proud that the FDA has the courage to overcome America’s liberal powerhouse. This country’s left-wing has grown so massive that I’m surprised the bald eagle can still remain aloft.
I, for one, do not want my children growing up in a society where some reefer-crazed AIDS patient has the right to rampage through the streets causing ‘legal’ destruction, nor do I want my ears being assaulted by some 80-year-old woman blasting the Snoop Doggity Doo out of her boom box. However, there are still obstacles in our way which must be overcome. Doctors (‘butchers’ is more like it) are still shouting their support for inhumane stem-cell research and rogue, leftist judges are still ruling in favor of euthanasia. When these barbaric practices can finally be stopped, then our country will finally be heading in the right direction.
This is what opponents of medicinal marijuana believe. And if this country continues to head in their direction, we’ll soon return to bloodletting.
Because of the growing conservative grip on America’s medical community, here’s a situation I foresee: Johnny’s cancer spreads throughout his body because stem-cell research has been halted; however, he’s forced to live with the pain because marijuana is illegal. Now, when Johnny decides that he can no longer stand the extreme pain, he doesn’t get the choice to simply fall asleep because euthanasia, too, has been banned.
All kidding aside, the FDA’s ruling against marijuana is an extreme blow to millions of suffering patients.
For years, doctors and scientists have proclaimed the benefits of marijuana for use with diseases such as AIDS, cancer and glaucoma. In fact, a 1999 study by the National Academy of Sciences concluded that marijuana is a viable way to deal with various medical cases. Yet, the FDA completely ignored this 200-page document when coming to their decision about the usefulness of the drug.
One of these organizations is either not telling the truth or evading other issues. Is it the self-sustaining one, headed by a group of scientists, or the government-funded one, overseen by a man known to push forward conservative ideals?
When appointed head of the FDA in 2002, one of Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach’s first acts was to halt a study trying to determine whether abortion does indeed (as many right-wing organizations claim) increase the risk of breast cancer.
Hmm