7

It is that time of year again, when the annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival rolls around. Early May means it’s time to max out the credit card and go get burned in the hot Indio sun, and see almost every band you missed on tour over the year.
With staggering prices, heat and a sought-after lineup, this year’s festival featured big names such as Kanye West, Madonna, Tool, Coldplay and Depeche Mode, in addition to countless underground hip-hop and indie bands from all over the globe.
The New University caught up with several students who attended the festival to get a perspective on one of the most popular music festivals for college students in California.
New University: What was your hands-down, pure enjoyment, borderline religious experience, favorite performance?
Zach Kearns: Obviously Daft Punk. Knees buckling. My head expanded to the reasons of the roof. The dimensions that the tent suggested that’s where I was. I was stoked on life. They were robots but they brought the most humanizing experience I have ever had. It was bomb. Everyone had that glitter in their eyes. They could all realize that they had that raw pulsating experience. The people made it happen. I was there. That’s it I was there!
Jon Bernal: Sigur Ros [was] the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen and heard. The experience was so overwhelming, I cried. Same with Daft Punk.
Miles Harrison: Daft Punk live was pure enjoyment. They performed as robots atop a pyramid of color, producing a ranging mesh of sound, layering their songs from all of their albums, even from the ‘Irreversible’ soundtrack.
Having loved Daft Punk since childhood, I was an emotional sap when they came out. I stood there with a huge grin on my face and I loved every minute of it. The robots rocked out, constantly bobbing their heads to the music while controlling four laptops, and even if the show was completely sequenced, even if they had Winamp playing their prerecorded set on one of the computers and played solitaire during the show, even if Bangalter and Homem-Christo sat in their French ch