Around the Ring

4
4

Researchers Find Chlorine May Contribute to Ozone Formation

New findings show that chlorine may contribute to the formation of the ozone layer.

Eric Saltzman, professor of Earth system science in the School of Physical Sciences at UC Irvine, and Brandon Finley, a graduate student researcher in the Department of Earth System Science, published their research on the effects of chlorine levels on the ozone chemistry in a current issue of Geophysical Research Letters.

In the investigation, air measurements were taken in the Irvine area for a two-month period which revealed chlorine gas levels measuring five parts per trillion or less, but fluctuating as high as 15 parts per trillion during the daytime.

Although Saltzman and Finley found more chlorine in the daytime than expected, they do not know the causes for the drastic changes in the levels, without a link between chlorine levels and meteorological conditions.

Chlorine comes in different forms (chlorine salts from sea sprays, chlorine gas used to treat swimming pools and water supplies) and when chlorine atoms react with hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides from power plant and automobile emissions, it reacts to create the ozone.

UC Irvine and Merck Sponsor Symposium Exploring Organic Synthesis

The UC Irvine-Merck Symposium will be held on Monday, Dec. 11 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center of the National Academies.

The event, titled, ‘Frontiers in Organic Synthesis,’ features Professor Jon Clardy from Harvard University Medical School, who will speak on ‘Natural and Unnatural Uses of Natural Products’ and Professor Ei-ichi Negishi from Purdue University, who will speak on ‘Zirconium-Catalyzed Asymmetric Carboalumination of Alkenes’ and ‘Recent Advances and Synthetic Applications.’

The symposium will also include Professor Tomislav Rovis from Colorado State University, who will speak on “Catalytic Asymmetric C-C and C-N Bond-Forming Reactions” and Professor Larry Scott from Boston College, who will speak on “Challenging Targets for Chemical Synthesis:Uniform Carbon Nanotubes.”

Professor Named Pappalardo Distinguished Lecturer in Physics

On Thursday, Oct. 12 in 10-250 Huntington Hall at 4:15 p.m., Professor Virginia Trimble gave the Pappalardo Distinguished lecture in physics on ‘Cosmology: Man’s Place in the Universe.’

In her lecture, Trimble explored the possible ways ‘we came to be here.’ She also raised questions about the universe that ‘guarantees that the universe must be more or less the way it is.’

Trimble, who joined the UCI faculty in 1971, received her B.A. from UCLA in 1964 and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from California Institute of Technology in 1965 and 1968 respectively.

Trimble currently serves as vice president of the International Astronomical Union, vice president of the American Astronomical Society, chair of its Historical Astronomy Division.