HomeSportsMen's Soccer Easily Defeat Titans

Men’s Soccer Easily Defeat Titans

Fullerton 1
UC Irvine 3
The UC Irvine men’s soccer team got their third straight victory Wednesday night against a struggling Cal State Fullerton Titans team, 3-1.
Showing great finesse and ball-handling skills, Irvine improved their overall record to 12-3-3 and to 5-2-1 in the Big West Conference, managing to keep pace with first-place UC Santa Barbara.
The first UCI goal came when senior forward Craig Ettinger scored off an assist by freshman midfielder Kevin Santora. Ettinger knocked the ball into the net to quickly get Irvine on the scoreboard at the 9 minute, 1 second mark of the first half.
Fullerton quickly tied the game with a goal of their own in the 25th minute when Eugene Brooks scored on a breakaway. The goal was assisted by Michael Farfan, who broke away down the middle of the Irvine defense and passed the ball to an undefended Brooks. Brooks kicked the ball past UCI senior goalie Kenny Schoeni, tying up the score at 1-1.
The goal was Brooks’ ninth of the season, tying him with Irvine’s own sophomore defender Matt Murphy for most goals scored in the conference. Murphy did not play in the match.
The Anteaters came right back at the 31:15 mark as senior forward Brad Evans scored on a free kick off the left goal post. This was the 30th goal of Evans’ career, tying him with UCI Hall of Famer P.J. Polowski for most career goals. The goal also marked Evan’s 10th career game-winning goal.
The Anteaters’ offensive attack was not done