Water Polo Moos Down Davis

3
3

UC Davis 7
UC Irvine 8
The UC Irvine women’s water polo team is back to its winning ways.
Following a three-game losing streak, the Anteaters have now won four straight games after a close 8-7 overtime win over non-conference opponent UC Davis on Tuesday, March 27 at the Anteater Complex.
With the score tied at 7-7 and time running out in the first overtime period, sophomore Nikki Frish scored the game-winning goal just as the buzzer sounded.
The goal was critical for the Anteaters who had blown a 7-5 lead late in the fourth period.
After UCI jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, Davis scored three straight goals to close out the first period and held the 3-2 advantage.
The Anteaters tied the game momentarily early in the second period with a goal by sophomore Ginna Rossi but with less than two minutes remaining before halftime, Davis would score again to take a 4-3 lead at the break.
The third period belonged to UCI, who scored the first three goals of the second half. Davis added one goal at the end of the period, giving UCI a 6-5 lead heading into the final period.
Senior Robyn Kaake scored with just over seven minutes remaining in the fourth period to give the Anteaters a 7-5 lead. Davis refused to go away as they scored the last two goals of regulation, including the equalizer to tie the game at seven apiece with 2:05 remaining.
Neither team had any real scoring chances in the final two minutes of the match and the game was sent to overtime.
Frish saved her best for last as she scored the eventual game-winner to give UCI the 8-7 win.
Kaake and Frish scored two goals each for the Anteaters while Rossi, sophomore Julia Fancher, freshman driver Erin Kiene and freshman Kat Plummer all scored one goal apiece.
Junior goalkeeper Lauren Machanis added another double-digit save effort to her resume, recording 10 saves on the night. Machanis was at her best when it counted most, holding UC Davis scoreless in both overtime periods.
The following day, the Anteaters won their fifth straight game when they took care of the University of Brown with a convincing 12-6 win.
Freshman driver Erin Kiene led all scorers with four goals. UCI trailed 4-2 early in the first period but managed to limit Brown to just two goals the rest of the match.
The Anteaters’ record now stands at 15-6 overall and 3-4 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation. UCI is currently in seventh place in the conference standings.
The Anteaters will resume MPSF matches when they take on Stanford on April 6 at 5 p.m. in Anteater Complex.