Baseball Wins Two of Three from UC Davis

4
4

UCI Overpowers UC Davis
(12-6, Friday)

The Anteaters picked up their 30th win of the season on another gutsy outing by sophomore pitcher Scott Gorgen and a relentless performance by the offense. While UC Irvine came out on top 12-6 over UC Davis, the game was anything but a piece of cake.

The Aggies entered the game with just a 14-23 record, but that was no indication of how they played Friday night. Its offense jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on an RBI single by Daniel Descalso.

But the UCI offense countered with four runs in the bottom half of the inning. Junior first baseman Taylor Holiday and sophomore shortstop Ben Orloff each singled to set the table for senior second basemen Cody Cipriano, who launched a triple into deep right center field, bringing in both runners. Junior right-fielder Bryan Petersen and junior catcher Aaron Lowenstein would each add RBI singles to give UCI a commanding 4-1 lead after the first inning.

Unfortunately for the Anteaters, UC Davis kept the game exciting. In the top of the third, the Aggies tacked on four runs by stringing together five consecutive hits to take the lead 5-4. By the fourth inning Davis added a sixth run on an RBI single by second baseman Brandon Oliver and took a 6-4 lead.

Despite the turbulence, Scott Gorgen had plenty left in the tank while the offense was more than willing to support its Friday night ace.

In the bottom of the sixth, Cipriano singled home Holiday for his third RBI of the game and Petersen tied the game with an RBI single.

With the game now tied, Gorgen proved once again that he becomes more and more un-hittable as the game wears on. He was dominant from the fifth inning on, surrendering no runs and allowing the UCI offense to bury the Aggies by adding two runs in the seventh inning and four more in the eighth.

Considering Gorgen had given up six runs by the fourth inning, it was amazing to see him persevere and collect yet another complete game. He threw 134 pitches and improved his record to 8-2.

‘As crazy as this may sound, this may have been the best game we’ve played all year,’ said UCI Head Coach Dave Serrano. ‘We jumped out to an early lead, we lost it and then we were started to panic. But then we became a whole different ball club. Our offense put together some great at bats and Gorgen started making great pitches consistently.’

Offensively, UCI had no problem reaching base all game. It collected 18 hits