3

UC Irvine will honor four professors from various disciplinary areas for the University of California, Irvine Medal, the university’s highest award to those who have made an impact in the school’s academic history, on Oct. 6 at the Bren Events Center.
The four recipients are Gavin S. Herbert, Edward H. Newland, William L. Pereira and Audrey M. Schneiderman.
Gavin S. Herbert is the founder, chairman and former CEO of the Irvine-based pharmaceutical and medical device company Allergan, Inc. The company has supported the university’s department of ophthalmology for over 25 years by sponsoring research internships and providing opportunities for student growth.
He was a friend of the university’s founding chancellor, Daniel G. Aldrich, Jr., and assisted in the development of the department of ophthalmology, which led him to become the first president of the Chancellor’s Club.
Currently, he is part of Allergan’s board of directors, the Doheny Eye Institute, the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace Foundation and serves as the vice-chairman of the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. In addition, he is also a part of the advisory board for the Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and a Life Trustee of the University of Southern California.
He lives in San Clemente with his wife, where he serves as the chairman for the Corona del Mar-based retail nursery, Roger’s Gardens, and for the San Clemente-based environmental supply provider, Regenesis Bioremediation Products.
The second recipient is the coach of the university’s water polo team, Edward N. Newland. He arrived at UCI in 1966 and has coached six of the team’s National Championships, leading to 72 All-Americans and 14 UCI Athletics Hall of Fame members. His teams won the NCAA titles in 1970, 1982 and 1989.
He has also served as the coach for other U.S. national teams and secured spots for 11 student athletes on the U.S. Olympic water polo team, five of which were in the most recent Olympic Games.
When the school decided to cut the water polo team due to budget cuts in the early ’90s, he forfeited his salary to financially support the program, which left him with an annual salary of $1 for more than 10 years.
The third recipient, William L. Pereira, an architect and planner, designed the university’s master plan. He selected the Irvine Ranch as the perfect location for the future UCI campus and brought the Regents and the Irvine Company together to obtain the 1,000 acres necessary for the project.
He designed master plans 400 projects besides UCI, including the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco. He died in 1985 and will be the first recipient to receive the reward posthumously.
The fourth recipient, Audrey M. Schneiderman, currently serves as the Ambassador of the University of California, Irvine Foundation and a member of the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory. Mrs. Schneiderman is the widow of the third dean of the school of biological sciences, Dr. Howard A. Schneiderman.
After her husband died in 1990, she founded the Howard Schneiderman Fellowship, the H.A. Schneiderman Scholarship and the Howard Schneiderman Endowment, alongside the Howard Schneiderman Memorial Bioethics Lecture Series.
The earnings from this year’s medal reception, entitled ‘A Celebration of Stars,’ will be used to support Regents’ Scholarships and graduate fellowships.