2

‘Energetic,’ ‘confident’ and ‘outgoing’ are three words people would use to describe sophomore starting pitcher Scott Gorgen. He agrees this fits him pretty well.
Energetic certainly comes to mind as he lists his hobbies; nearly any sport but mostly basketball, bowling and golf. The second-year sociology major from Concord was recruited to pitch for UC Irvine three years ago and has since become a force on the team.
Baseball has been a part of Gorgen’s life since he was six. He started his baseball career early, tossing a ball in the yard with his twin brother Matt. At Clayton Valley High School, Gorgen had his hands full playing football in the fall and baseball in the spring. He spent the first three years on the ball field playing catcher until his senior year when he began pitching.
When a friend’s dad recommended him to the UCI program, Gorgen came to check out the school and liked what he saw.
‘The facilities and the area definitely made a positive impact on my decision,’ Gorgen said. ‘Also the coaching staff, they came from Cal State Fullerton and they wanted to build a winning program with a good group of players. This fit me well both in the classroom and on the field.’
The UCI coaches apparently liked what they saw as well because Gorgen started the next fall on scholarship and joined a team that two years later feels like family.
‘We’re having a phenomenal year,’ Gorgen said. ‘The team chemistry here is phenomenal. [It] is what has made us go this far.’
The team certainly has come far. The baseball program at UCI was cancelled around seventeen years ago due to a state budget crisis.
Despite being revived only about six years ago, UCI baseball is currently 12th in the nation with a 36-14-1 record overall. The next two weeks will determine where the team ranks in the Big West Conference.
Last weekend Gorgen pitched a four-hit complete-game shutout, helping the Anteaters win 9-0 over Cal State Northridge. Success is encouraging as the end of the season approaches. Gorgen said he has two aspirations for his team: ‘To win Big West in the next two weeks, and then hopefully go as far as the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska.’
As a pitcher Gorgen has garnered some impressive honors for himself. As a freshman he was chosen Big West Pitcher of the Year and a Collegiate Freshmen All-American. Given his success, Gorgen still can’t decide what his biggest accomplishment as a player would be. His favorite memory though is beating his brother Matt twice in games against UC Berkeley.
To sum up the season in a few words Scott says, ‘hard work and never quit.’
The team will finish the season playing a three game series against UC Riverside this weekend at the Riverside Sports Complex.