Clubs Honored at Barclay

2
2

After a year of work by student organizations on campus, the chance to be recognized by UC Irvine for their accomplishments during the 2006-2007 academic year came down to one night at the Barclay Theatre.
A slideshow showcasing the nominated clubs and their members evoked cheers and screams as the excitement began to build.
Twenty-eight awards were distributed in less than two hours, with performances from Modern Completely Insane Anteaters, the Uncultivated Rabbits, Hawaiian Club and Breakdancing Club.
Monica Chadorchi of the Undergraduate Business Association was given the Most Outstanding Student Organization President Award in recognition of her tremendous work in fundraising and increasing membership for the struggling organization. Nominees for this award, who had been interviewed previously, were given a certificate. Chadorchi also received a trophy representing a scholarship from the Orange County Federal Credit Union. The Association of University Meditators came away with the Most Outstanding Student Organization Award, winning a trophy in addition to free re-registration for the 2007-2008 academic year.
Some clubs received more than one honor. The Indian Sub-Continental Club received the Most Outstanding T-Shirt Award for their depiction of and tribute to Mahatma Gandhi, as well as Most Outstanding Traditional Cultural Program for their dance competition entitled ‘Garba With Attitude’.
Students for Homeless Outreach United Together came away with the Social Justice Award and Most Outstanding Service Organization Award for their groundbreaking work to fight homelessness with events such as their Annual Sleep-Out.
The American Indian Student Association, which has only a handful of members, received the Most Outstanding International/Multicultural Organization.
The Chinese Association got the Most Outstanding Web Site as well as Most Outstanding Social/Support Group Award.
The Badminton Club, who went on to become National Champions, won the Most Outstanding Sports/Recreation Organization.
All winners were given plaques and envelopes. The Dean of Students renamed the awards this year, as they were previously known as the ‘Student Organization Recognition Night.’ An Anteater Awards Committee was formed to judge the club nominations. This committee was made up of staff and faculty from all of the departments on campus, from the Cross Cultural Center to the Associated Students of UCI.
Other winners included Onye Ahanotu from the American Chemical Society Student Affiliates for Member of the Year and Alpha Chi Omega for Most Outstanding Greek Organization.
Young Democrats won for Most Outstanding Political Organization, and VedaAnt won for Most Outstanding Religious Group.
Colleges Against Cancer, which raised over $50,000 for the American Cancer Society with their ‘Relay For Life’ event, won the Excellence in Fundraising Award.
One in Four, an all-male group fighting for sexual assault education and prevention, won the Most Promising New Group Award. Philipino-Americans in Social Studies won Most Outstanding Newsletter/Publication. Finally, the American Marketing Association won Most Outstanding Academic Organization.
At the end of the event, DOS raffled off two prizes of 20 sheets of poster paper and one prize of 50 sheets of poster paper.