Friday, March 29, 2024
HomeSportsMen's Golf Finishes 22nd in NCAA Regional

Men’s Golf Finishes 22nd in NCAA Regional

The NCAA West Regional was not friendly to the UC Irvine men’s golf team compared to other tournaments the team played in this season.
Needing to finish in the top 10 to advance to the NCAA Championships, the Anteaters finished in a disappointing 22nd place, ending the team’s year.
UCI finished 24 shots off of the 10th and final qualifying position.
The Anteaters shot a one-under par during the tournament and never cracked the top 20. The team ended in 21st place after the first day and in 22nd place after the second day of competition, which took place from May 17 to 19 at the Arizona State University Karsten Course.
Senior Jay Choe was the top performer for UCI, finishing in 40th place.
Freshman John Chin was in 81st place, sophomore Tim Cha was in 93rd, senior Brian Edick, who was named Big West Athlete of the Year in men’s golf, placed in 108th and sophomore Sean Shahi finished in 121st.
UCI had a consistent season, finishing in the top five in 10 out of 12 tournaments this season, which includes the Regional competition.
After winning the Big West Conference for the first time since 2003, UCI was looking to build on its momentum and make up for the lack of success the team had in the Regional a year ago.
Last season, the Anteaters also advanced to the NCAA Regional but failed to qualify to the Championships after finishing in 16th place (the top 10 teams move on).
The University of South Carolina won the tournament, shooting 44-under par.
As the tournament in Arizona ended the UCI season, there were many key moments in the year for the Anteaters. Besides winning the Big West Championships, UCI also captured first place in the Anteater Invitational in February and in second place during the Fresno State Lexus Classic in March.