Thursday, April 18, 2024
HomeNewsUC Student Regents Visit UC Irvine to Hear Students' Concerns

UC Student Regents Visit UC Irvine to Hear Students’ Concerns

Housing, rising tuition fees, diversity and academic preparation were among the concerns addressed with the UC Student Regents when they visited the campus last Wednesday, Feb. 6.
Ben Allen, student regent 2007-2008, and D’Artagnan Scorza, the current Regent-designate, met with members from Associated Students of UC Irvine, Associated Graduate Students, the Umbrella Council and the New University to hear about the foremost topics concerning the UCI student body.
According to a press release on Jan. 10 from the University of California Web site, the California Governor’s State Budget Proposal to reduce the General Fund spent on higher education by $331.9 million in the 2008-09 fiscal year will send the Board scrambling to cut spending on a number of programs.
The student regents also used the opportunity to stir up local support and awareness of system-wide programs that are in jeopardy of being cut during this next fiscal year.
In a meeting with ASUCI Vice President of Administrative Affairs Kyle Holmes, Vice President of Student Services Chelsea Liwag-Estrada and Legislative Council Representative for the School of Humanities Megan Braun, the regents listened to concerns about dining services, campus events and community, affordable housing and diversity in academic programs.
Holmes touched upon such topics as mental health services and graduate housing