7

Popular TV Show Host Bill Nye to Visit UC Irvine
Bill Nye, better known as “Bill Nye, the Science Guy” from the Emmy-Award-winning ’90s TV show with the same name, will appear at UC Irvine on April 17. He will be the keynote speaker for the campus’s Environmental Awareness Week, which takes place April 14 -19.
The event is scheduled in conjunction with UCI’s Earth Day, which will take place on April 19 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event will be solar-powered and will include, among other activities, the Annual Re-Use Art Competition, which consists of creating art out of recyclables and trash. The Center for Service in Action will host the event.

Chinese Association Wins First Place in Dragon Boat Competition
UC Irvine’s Chinese Association’s Dragon Boat team (CADB) achieved victory as the 2008 collegiate champions in a dragon boat race hosted by the Arizona Dragon Boat Association. The team, led by Head Coach Cory Ishihara-Wing and consisting of 31 members, traveled to Tempe, Arizona on March 29 and 30 to compete in the fifth Annual Salt River Project Dragon Boat Festival.
Although the team matched two UC San Diego boats, two University of Southern California boats and two Arizona teams with only one dragon boat in the collegiate division of the race, UCI’s team was still able to win first place.
Dragon boat racing originated in China and consists of a drummer, a steersman and 20 paddlers who share 10 benches and propel the boat by paddling forward, as in a canoe, as opposed to rowing backwards. The drummer sets the beat to have the rowers stay in sync during the race. The steersman sets the boat in position at the beginning and steers it throughout the race. Unlike most sports, there is no one member who can carry the team. Instead, every member of the team is required to put 100 percent of their effort into the sport in order to win.

Annual Wayzgoose Festival to Take Place Sat., April 19
The annual Wayzgoose Festival, hosted by the Associated Students of UC Irvine, is just around the corner. The event will take place on Sat., April 19 in association with “Celebrate UCI,” the campus’s open house. In keeping with tradition, the festival’s medieval theme will be reflected in the day’s festivities. These will include entertainment stages, carnival rides and medieval societies.
Campus clubs and organizations are also invited to participate in Wayzgoose by setting up food, game and informational booths representing their group and reflecting the medieval theme. Cash prizes will be awarded to the booths that best represent the theme in each of the following categories: booth design, theme-related activity and original costume.
The festivities will begin at 10 a.m. and last until 6 p.m.

Colleges Against Cancer to Host All-Night Relay-for-Life
The American Cancer Society’s Colleges Against Cancer Club will host Relay for Life at UC Irvine to celebrate those who have survived cancer, remember those whose lives were lost to it and fight back against this devastating disease.
The 24-hour event will occur on April 26-27 in Aldrich Park and consist of teams of approximately 10 people taking turns walking or running laps. Each team will try to keep at least one member on the track at all times. Music, entertainment and food will be provided for those participating in the all-night walk-a-thon.
As of April 6, more than 800 participants have already signed up for the event, about 60 groups have registered and almost $12,000 have been raised.
Colleges Against Cancer focuses on four strategic directions: advocacy, education, survivorship and Relay For Life. Relay for Life is the club’s signature event.