Staff Farewell by Yolanda Vo

5
5

I’ve been working at the New University since my freshman year—a writer my first year, associate editor my second, copy editor my third and managing editor my fourth. Four years of reading, writing and editing. Three years with one less day in the week for myself—my Sunday instead dedicated to the production of the New U newspaper.
Exhausting? Definitely. I can’t believe I’ve been around for so long—longer, actually, than the other members of the editorial team. But it’s been worthwhile, an experience, something to learn from. Each year, there was a different group of editors to work with and even become friends with.
The first New U editor and friend who comes to mind is Allan, 2005-2006 editor-in-chief. Back when I was a new editor, he was someone I wanted to emulate. His professionalism, fun personality and faith in me as an editor was motivating throughout the academic year and continues to push me today.
I remember Ben’s spunk. I knew that every day in the office would be filled with laughter. He acted as 2006-2007 editor-in-chief with wit and intelligence, and every editor fed off of this. The whole editorial staff that year was undoubtedly fun.
And this year, as managing editor, I have been able to work with each editorial board member. I know their strengths, their personalities, the unique ways they contribute to the New U—there is not one particular person who stands out, but rather a strong team of editors. While calling us a team may seem contradictory to what we’ve gone through this year, I feel that all of us have benefited from the hurdles we’ve had to face.
We’ve all learned something, and we all strive for something better for the New U newspaper. For me, it is the desire for something better that pushes me to continue working with the New U – as a correspondent of sorts – even after I’ve graduated. I suppose I can say that I’ll be working with the New U for a fifth year—sort of.
I’m actually so excited for the incoming editors. I’m excited for the experiences they will gain, the friendships they will form and the change they can bring to the paper.
Lastly, my experiences at the New U cannot be remembered without putting Mustard Seeds into the picture. Mustard Seeds, the Vietnamese Catholic prayer and support group that I’ve been involved with for four years, has given me members and friends who listened to my worries and struggles as I journeyed as an editor.
Strangely, I did not expect my involvement in the organization to have an effect on how I work as an editor—but it has. I have become more open to criticism, more able to be levelheaded in tight situations and more optimistic in the capabilities and achievements of others. I truly have so much hope for the future of the New University.