5

Now that summer is here, keep yourself cool with some easy-to-make frozen treats! Check out these simple recipes to stay cool while having fun in the sun.

Frozen fruit bars
Here is a great recipe from SparkPeople to get you started (you can omit the sugar, add 100 percent fruit juice to help in the blending process, or substitute organic fruit.) Sticking to one or two kinds of fruit keep them tasting yummy.
• Blend two cups of cut-up summer fruit (strawberries, peaches, watermelon, etc.) in a blender until smooth.
• Add one to two tablespoons water (or juice), if necessary. Add 1-tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Cover and blend until well mixed.
• Pour into molds and freeze until solid.

Pudding pops
• Grab a pack of those individual puddings that you can stick in a kid’s lunchbox.
• Carefully slice an opening in the foil lid of the pudding, and insert a wooden popsicle stick (sold at grocers and craft stores.)
• Freeze and eat!

Frozen yogurt bars
• Simply scoop your favorite yogurt into your mold.
• Allow to freeze.

Ice-cream bars
• Allow a container of your favorite ice cream to soften. This will make it easy to scoop into a frozen mold.
• After it freezes, you can dip it into melted chocolate or roll into nuts to refreeze before eating.

Popsicles
• Freezing your favorite juice into a mold is the easiest way yet to cool off with a treat.

Frozen bananas
• Dip a whole, peeled banana into a melted chocolate dip.
• Roll in crushed or chopped nuts and insert a stick.
• Place on waxed paper.
• Freeze and eat! (These are best if eaten soon after frozen, but if you won’t be using them up right away, take the already frozen bananas and place them in a freezer bag. They’re good for up to a week.

Strawberry-Banana Creamsicles
• 1 cup mashed bananas
• 1 cup sliced strawberries
• 1 14 oz can evaporated milk.
• Combine all the ingredients into a blender.
• Blend until smooth.

Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
• 1 cup of reduced-fat milk
• 1/2 banana
• 5 cubes of ice
• 6 chocolate chip cookies
• 2 tbsp peanut butter
• Pour into blender
• Blend until smooth
Tips for tightening the purse: Use small paper cups for molds, but if you don’t want any additional waste, you can use reusable plastic molds.

Courtesy of Wisebread Forum