UCI Sports Recaps and Previews

5
5
Recaps

Men’s Soccer 2; San Diego State 0
The UC Irvine men’s soccer team (5-0-2) beat the San Diego State University Aztecs on Friday at SDSU Sports Deck.
The Anteaters started early with a cross from Amani Walker to Kevin Santora who put it away and put Irvine up 1-0 in the fifth minute. Spencer Thompson was next to get on the board for the Anteaters after a beautiful goal in the 67th minute that put UC Irvine up 2-0.
The Aztec offense could only put two shots on goal the whole game, both of which were saved by freshman keeper Andrew Fontien who earned his first career shutout.

Women’s Volleyball sweeps Western Michigan, 25-21, 25-23, 25-19
The women’s volleyball team came up on a sweep Friday against Western Michigan at the Golden Dome Invitational at Notre Dame.
Lauren Kellerman led all players with 16 kills and helped the Anteaters improve to a 5-6 overall record. Kellerman made only three errors in 35 attempts and even mixed in eight digs.
Kari Pestolesi added 12 kills and a team-high 15 digs with libero Devon Sutherland right behind with 14 digs. Alexander Hauser dominated the net with five blocks and setter Taryn Roberston had 44 assists.

Men’s Water Polo 10; UC Santa Barbara 9
The seventh ranked men’s water polo team beat rival UC Santa Barbara in the Nor Cal Tournament at Saint Mary’s High School in Stockton on Saturday.
The Anteaters rallied behind Brandon Johnson and Thomas Kruip who scored four goals a piece against the Gauchos.
Irvine trailed going into the fourth period, but came up big with four goals in the last period to overtake UCSB. Sophomore Matt Johnson came up big with ten saves in the match.
The ‘Eaters finished 8th.

Previews

Women’s Golf at Ron Moore Intercollegiate
Highlands Golf Club
Denver, CO
Sept. 22-24

The women’s golf team will open the year at the Highlands Golf Club from Monday through Wednesday in the Ron Moore Intercollegiate golf tournament. The Lady Anteaters are coming off of a huge 2007 season with wins at the Lady Aztec Classic and the Big West Championship.
Jane Chin will be returning to the team after redshirting as a three-time All-Big West honoree.
Chin will provide a veterans edge this week as she is the only Anteater who played at Highlands when Irvine competed in the tournament in 2005.

Women’s Soccer vs. San Francisco
Anteater Stadium
Friday Sept. 26th

The women’s soccer team will ride their three-game win streak into a match against University of San Francisco at 8 p.m.
The primetime game will feature the Anteaters’ standout mid-fielder Kate Berrini who is coming off a hat trick.
The team is 4-4-0 so far this season and will continue the road to a Big West Championship.
After a breakout year last season, the team looks to the Big West Tournament championship this season.