Drawn and Quoted

2
2

Douchebag of the Week: “And you should all be careful of one candidate who represents the Islamic terrorist group CAIR,” said Steven Choi, an Irvine city council member, before a breakfast hosted by the Irvine Chamber of Commerce. Choi, running for re-election this November, was referring to his opponent, Todd Gallinger, who represented the Council on American-Islamic Relations as a lawyer in a lawsuit about backlogged immigration applications. Choi identified CAIR, the nation’s largest American Muslim civil rights and advocacy group headquartered in Washington DC, as a terrorist group and Gallinger as guilty by association. If anyone is guilty of anything, it’s Choi for political absentmindedness. His bending over to pick up the dingy fear card to use as a political bogeyman has backfired. What he forgot to pick up was the shovel and his badge as “Douche of the Week.”
Alaska Not So Chilly: “I’ll try to find you some and I’ll bring them to you,” said a dismayed Sarah Palin when asked again by Katie Couric for “specific examples in [John McCain’s] 26 years, of pushing for more regulations” on Wall Street. She capitulated after trying to stutter around Couric’s initial question for examples of John McCain “leading the charge for more oversight.” It’s no surprise why the McCain campaign has been so adamant about keeping Palin secure from those pesky media gnats. Every time she has opened her mouth at a non-scripted event she has tied herself into Gordian knots. From her interview with Couric, it’s clear that Palin wouldn’t last 10 minutes at a high school debate competition, let alone at a debate with Joe Biden. Behind the smiles, the McCain camp is profusely perspiring as Palin makes baboons out of them all.
The Political Epiphany Everyone Had a Long Time Ago: “What I’ve found, and I think it was confirmed today, is that when you inject presidential politics into delicate negotiations, it’s not necessarily as helpful as it needs to be. Just because there is a lot of glare of the spotlight, there’s the potential for posturing or suspicions,” said Barack Obama as he postured for cameras and reporters after he and John McCain came to Washington to bail out their campaigns and the $700 billion bailout plan.
It’s the Economy, Stupid: “Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy – Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too […] So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions,” said Sarah Palin, responding to why it isn’t better “to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries” instead of bailing out the big financial institutions. Katie Couric, who conducted the interview, deserves accolades for keeping a straight face as Palin stumbled and floundered her way through the questions. Her understanding of both the bailout plan and its repercussions makes for good TV and ratings. But, here is one better: a three-way debate between Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle and Miss Teen South Carolina. Quayle and Miss Teen South Carolina won’t object because the debate will be their vindication.