Spraying Some Sugar to Top it Off

5
5

“Sugar” Shane Mosley knocked out Nicaraguan brawler Ricardo Mayorga in the last second of the last round on Saturday night at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. Mayorga’s wild style forced Mosley into a less technical affair then that in which he would have liked to partake.
A fast-handed and more skilled boxer, Mosley landed cleaner, more effective punches throughout the fight.
However, Mayorga landed his share of hard overhand rights, many of which seemed to land on the back of Mosley’s head, which is illegal.
Mosley won most of the rounds before landing a series of right hands and then a combination that sent Mayorga down with less than 30 seconds remaining in the fight. Mayorga got to his feet and was knocked down and out by a devastating left hook. The bell sounded while Mayorga was on the floor, but as the unified rules of the match state: “A fighter cannot be saved by the bell in any round, including the 12th and final round.”
The naturally smaller Mosley systematically broke down the larger Mayorga, who, as always, put forth a valiant effort.
Mayorga has recently acted as the fighter to fight for super stars looking to keep busy between mega fights. He was knocked out by both Felix Trinidad during one of his comeback fights as well as Oscar De La Hoya prior to his super fight with the now “retired” Floyd Mayweather Jr. Following this impressive victory, Shane Mosley sets himself up to yet again be a major player in the 147-154 pound (welter and super-welterweight) division.
In the co-featured bout, Andre Berto defended his World Boxing Council welterweight championship by winning a tough fight against Steve Forbes. Forbes, who recently lost a relatively close fight against De La Hoya, put forth a strong effort, but was overmatched by the younger, stronger, and faster Berto.
This night of boxing, highlighted by Shane Mosley’s knockout victory, marks the start of an exciting fall and winter of scheduled boxing matches, with many big-name fighters lighting up the calendar in coming months.
October offers an interesting match-up between current middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik and former longtime middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins.
On Nov. 8, Joe Calzaghe will put his undefeated record on the line against former pound-for-pound great Roy Jones Jr. in a light heavyweight match-up. The exciting schedule concludes with a December super-fight between the aforementioned De La Hoya as he fights fan favorite Manny “Pac Man” Pacquiao of the Philippines.
In the realm of mixed martial arts, Internet street-fighting sensation Kimbo Slice returns to the cage against the legendary Ken Shamrock this upcoming Saturday, Oct. 4 on CBS.
This star-studded card is scheduled to feature female fighting sensation Gina Carano, as well as former Ultimate Fighting Championships heavyweight champion Andre Arlovski in separate bouts.